7oz bottle of expressed milk & crying for more!?!?

(9 Posts)
shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 08-Jan-13 22:55:20

My DS (13 weeks) has a bottle of expressed milk before 'bed'. The last two nights he has had 7oz and then cried at the end of the bottle. I checked his nappy, burped him a bit and offered his dummy but only thing he wants is more milk. He then feeds for 7 mins on one side and 3/4mins on the other.

I'm worried that's a shit load of milk in his teeny tummy?! Is it ok to keep doing it if he wants it! I'm guessing it's just a growth spurt so shouldn't go on long term?

SamSmalaidh Tue 08-Jan-13 22:56:58

7oz sounds like a massive amount - are you sure he doesn't just want the comfort of the breast?

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 08-Jan-13 23:01:29

He's never really been a comfort boob sucker & always preferred his dummy so i'm not sure? Plus I wondered if the fact he wants both boobs might be genuine hunger?

If it matters he is 97th %lie but I did look on a box of forum today and for his weight he should have 6/7oz. So the bottle & the boob seems far too much?

clorna Wed 09-Jan-13 20:24:30

Personally I wouldn't worry, it may seem a lot but.......is he happy after you have fed him after the bottle or does he still want more?

mrsL1984 Wed 09-Jan-13 20:25:46

Babies demand feed so give him what he wants til u feel he is settled x

showtunesgirl Wed 09-Jan-13 20:28:50

You said that he's on one boob for 7 mins and then 3/4 mins on the other side. Is he coming off himself or are you timing him and taking him off?

Also you said that he's never been a comfort boob sucker but at 13 weeks, it's far too early to say what is a normal pattern for a baby. He may genuinely just want the comfort of you.

naughtynancy Wed 09-Jan-13 22:05:41

It doesn't seem a huge amount to me. DS was drinking 10oz at 14 weeks!!

Just give him what he wants!

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Thu 10-Jan-13 17:23:55

Showtunes, he does that himself, he rarely feeds for longer than 10 mins on one side.

Ah we'll ill keep doing it then, today he has wanted a feed every 3 hours whereas the last 5 weeks he's only wanted it every 4 or so, he's also started waking at 5am so he must just be growing!

showtunesgirl Thu 10-Jan-13 20:13:15

Ah, after the first few weeks of mammoth feeds, my DD never went longer than 10 mins either. She was just a really efficient feeder.

I would just go with the flow and offer him boob instead of the bottle. He might just want a nice snuggle before bed. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now