How do you make a bottle in middle of night. I mean what do you actually do, not what you should do

(52 Posts)
1978andallthat Tue 08-Jan-13 18:55:54

All that boiling the kettle and letting it cool malarkey no good at 3am. What do you really do in middle of night? Straight from fridge? Thermos by bed? Ready made? Am mix feeding newborn and never really cracked this with dd so want a better middle of the night system for ds.

bumpology Tue 22-Jan-13 17:52:40

Ive also been pondering this, so I've done some research and spoken to a microbiologist at the World Health Organisation. See: http://www.lindageddes.com/133/pouring-cold-water-on-baby-formula

CPtart Thu 10-Jan-13 20:57:24

Made up bottles with hot water and formula, cooled in fridge then transferred to cool bag in bedroom when last adult came up to bed. Warmed with bottle warmer at bedside when needed. Voila!

BertieBotts Thu 10-Jan-13 20:46:40

I thought it was 2 hours once it has been partially fed, because bacteria from the baby's mouth can make their way back into the bottle and contaminate it.

Panzee Thu 10-Jan-13 18:19:48

The small formula bottles/cartons are ok for 24 hours as long as they are in the fridge. Decadent it into a baby bottle and it magically only lasts 2 hours.

FirstTimeForEverything Thu 10-Jan-13 16:53:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1978andallthat Thu 10-Jan-13 16:42:12

That's nearly £300 over course of a year. Not practical for everyone.

But you can only use the bottle over the space of two hours once open, no?

Boop33 Thu 10-Jan-13 14:46:34

One ready made bottle of SMA first infant milk will probably do 2-3 feeds a night . Can be used room temp or warm - 79p .

Worth it !? you decide .......................xxx

appletiser Thu 10-Jan-13 13:09:42

with ds1who is now 3 i used to put boiled water in bottles and then make up as i needed but as mentioned already not supposed to do that anymore - currently putting boiled water that has cooled for about 20mins into thermos then using that at night - however still cooles down by the early moring feed - sad so sorry no help

monbeausapin Wed 09-Jan-13 09:20:22

OMG have just looked at this thread out of curiosity and realised that I have no doubt poisoned my DDs as the guidelines in France were exactly those outlined by SilverAngel. No wonder they never suffer from tummy bugs - they must be resistant to everything !

purpleloosestrife Wed 09-Jan-13 09:18:37

If I didn't have dairy intolerant DD and FS I would use cartons!

I make up all milks for the day in advance and keep in the fridge. I never keep in the door, though, and have a temperature alarm as occasionally if the fridge is opened a lot - it is surprising how quickly the fridge gets too warm. I make up fresh milk if this happens!

Night time milk for my new born would be kept in the Fridge to Go ( they are fantastic cooler bags!) and then I got an Avent bottle warmer off e-bay for £2.50, which did a great job at quickly taking the chill off.

Thankfully my DC now sleep through......grin

Secondsop Wed 09-Jan-13 08:44:12

dirtymistress keeping cooled boiled water in bottles and topping up with boiling water to get to the 70% is genius.

dancemom Wed 09-Jan-13 05:10:17

The Day and Night Feeder is fab, hands down best baby item I bought! You make up the bottles and it stores them chilled then when you hear baby start to stir you pop chilled bottle into the bottle warmer section and by the time baby is fully awake bottle is warmed and ready to go and you are still under your duvet grin

have bottle on night stand, add powder and shake well when DD woke.
None of the whole sterilise this, heating the bottle at 1 am. It was Perth summer, anyway. Even the cold water had steam.

Thanks! Well it's easier for me to use boiled water then cool it down for daytime feeds anyway although I'm surprised they're allowed to put that on the carton given that the advice is different. Cartons are the only way for night time feeds for me.

BoffinMum Tue 08-Jan-13 23:12:11

When I did use bottles I used to use cooled boiled water with the powdered milk, and the power of prayer in the hope that food poisoning didn't happen. I bf most of the time, though.

PickledInAPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 23:11:34

does it heat the water to 70 degrees or just warm up a pre made bottle?

I suppose you make them up to spec and then cool in the freezer bit?

1978andallthat Tue 08-Jan-13 23:09:17

The lindam day and night feeder looks great. Anyone else try that?

Strawberry, HiPP are giving advice that is not recommended by the department of health and the NHS. It is dangerous.

There's information here

youngermother1 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:59:16

made up the bottle before bed and left on night table - room temperature for feeding - not good i know blush

I'm using Hipp too and the instructions to make up te powdered formula say to wait until the water temp is 40-50 degrees to make up the feed?

silverangel Tue 08-Jan-13 21:35:52

I made 24hrs worth in advance and kept them in the fridge. When DTs were tiny I used a bottle warmer to bring them up to temp. When I got more blase and they were bigger I microwaved them. The bottle warmer took 9minutes to warm up a bottle from fridge temperature - that's a long time in the middle of the night with two hungry babies!

I was watching a trashy American tv programme the other day and they were making bottles up - mineral water straight from the bottle into the baby bottle, added formula, shook and fed baby, I did wonder how their guidelines can be so different?

LittleBearPad Tue 08-Jan-13 21:30:33

Cartons at room (or fridge) temperature for all feeds. We never warmed DD's bottles, possibly because we started bottle feeding her in a heat wave and I couldn't imagine anything worse than tepid/hot milk. Happily DD was and is quite happy with cold milk.

SkiBumMum Tue 08-Jan-13 21:25:18

Please be really really careful with flasks/kettles in bedrooms. A friend's baby is in the burns unit for skin grafts after a sleepy middle of the night accident. hmm

PickledInAPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 20:51:48

The arse is that if the water is hot in the Thermos then you will have to cool it.

Some babies might be ok but by the time I frantically cooled it DS would be going absolutely bananas.

But I think so, it needs to be 70 degrees. You could do a trial run.

The guidelines changed (i think) when babies got gastroenteritis from the powder and I think one died.. its not a huge risk but when they are small its a worry.

They cant make the powder sterile.

I ordered HIPP Organic milk from Amazon, it wasn't hugely expensive and I used about one carton a night - I am a lazy bint though. (A safety concious lazy bint!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now