Cluster feeding

(21 Posts)
newbielisa Wed 16-Jan-13 20:59:15

Aaaargh, cluster feeding hell still continuing here. DD2 been awake and mostly feeding with the odd snooze on the breast since about 2pm. Am hoping and praying that 12 weeks will be a turning point for us.... Ho hum only 2 weeks to go!

Hope things have improved for you.

PeppaPrig Mon 07-Jan-13 10:37:36

Thanks - GP said it was mild so they wouldn't snip. I'm actually much less sore now that cluster feeding has finished <tempts fate>, and oversupply seems to be less of an issue.

gwenniebee Sun 06-Jan-13 14:46:58

Good luck with the tongue tie appt. I remember saying exactly the same thing - she's thriving but I'm not!! We knew dd had a tie from early on but as it didn't look like it was affecting her feeding didn't have it snipped until about 7 weeks, when my nipples just hadn't healed at all and we were wanting to make sure we'd covered all bases. It did make a difference almost straight away.

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 23:11:14

2 next month. She was FF from a couple of weeks old, so this is all new to me. I think it will be easier once it's less constant!

newbielisa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:49:04

Peppa how old is your daughter?

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 22:40:57

Sounds much the same as me then. I feel guilty about all the telly, and Justin drives me to distraction. We read and colour too. Ds has stopped feeding, and is just screaming instead...

jkklpu Sat 05-Jan-13 22:25:45

Learn to read upside-down then you can do that with dc1 while you feed. Much of my ds1's vocabulary is thanks to the hours of reading we did each day in ds2's first 6 months.

newbielisa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:22:00

Watch a lot of cbeebies and try to colour 1 handed, play Peppa Pig snap one handed or direct her at play. It's very difficult and I feel so so guilty. My DH is home from work about 4.30 so know I'm luckier than most.
DD1(2.5) is at pre school 3 mornings a week and thankfully naps for up to 2 hours every day. I have to get her off for a nap by driving or pushchair, tends to be the car at the moment . I've had a few days when they've both been asleep for 2 hours and it's been amazing. I haven't slept myself though but done housework.

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 22:12:18

newbie what do you do with your other DC while constantly feeding?

newbielisa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:11:52

Btw typing one handed as I'm .............. You guessed it ....... Feeding

newbielisa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:10:36

8 weeks 3 days of cluster feeding day and bloody evening. This is DD2 and I can't remember was it like this last time, if it was I survived.

I was trying to decide today which I'd choose if the choice was given to me. To cluster feed for 6 - 8 hours until night time but then DD can sleep 6-8 hours without a feed. Or feed through the day and night every 2-3 hours, so sleep is broken but your nipples aren't hanging off and you can have a meal with your family and using 2 hands(remembers fondly). I really can't decide.

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 22:05:14

We have a GP appointment on Mon about tongue tie - he seems to have one, but the HV didn't know what to do about it hmm. Also plan to go to a BF support clinic.
He has gone from 6lb14 to 10lb 1 in 6 weeks so thriving, it's just me that isn't!
Here goes for the night ahead!

gwenniebee Sat 05-Jan-13 21:58:11

Keep going! It does get better even though it feels like forever at the moment. I found expressing a bottle a day was really helpful for my terribly sore nipples - even if sometimes it was just psychological as having the bottle in the fridge meant that it didn't have to be my destroyed nipples that suffered at the next feed, iyswim. I also tried to express first thing when I think the milk is supposed to be richer and then gave this at bedtime, which seemed to help knock dd out a bit like it sounds your formula is.

Just a thought, and there are others on here who will give more informed advice than I am able to, but have you had the baby checked for a tongue tie? If he's constantly feeding and you are still very sore it may be that his latch is not right so he's not feeding effectively and chafing you too.

gloucestergirl Sat 05-Jan-13 21:48:30

God I remember that stage. I think DD cluster feed for over 11 hours in total on some days. I can't remember when it stopped but these seashells helped no end with the nipples:

http://www.welfarewarriors.org/mwv_archive/f08/f08_heal.htm

BigPigLittlePig Sat 05-Jan-13 21:42:48

You're definitely not alone! Much to dh's displeasure, we have many times (most nights) unintentionally co-slept - mostly as I accidentally fall asleep midway through burping dd...

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 21:39:00

Oh, we do co-sleep as only way he'll kip. He needs to smell milk if not glugging it!

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 21:37:50

Glad it's just not me [selfish] and glad to hear it ends. He has fed and boob wrestled all day!

BigPigLittlePig Sat 05-Jan-13 21:16:35

I feel your pain Peppa - this is typed one handed as 6 week old dd attached firmly to boob, where she's been for ever 2 hours.

ticklebug74 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:10:30

And cosleeping through the night time clusters saved my life.

ticklebug74 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:08:46

I have not long gone through the six week mark and my dc3 was permanently attached. My only saving grace was I have to put her in pram three times a day for school and nursery runs so I get a little break. She is 11 weeks now and days are better but she still cluster feeds from 6.30pm onwards. I finally manage to get her down around 11.30pm and we are starting to sleep till 6.30 some nights so the cluster feeding can be worth it in the long run. It won't last forever so hang in there and don't feel guilty about Cbeebies.

PeppaPrig Sat 05-Jan-13 12:31:41

Does it ever end?
Ds is 6 weeks and for the last few days and nights, has fed constantly. My nipples are sore (dr has prescribed anti-thrush treatment), and toddler DD is becoming a cbeebies addict. I had an hours sleep each night for three nights, but dh gave a bottle of formula last night and I'm a new woman today (meant to express but didn't in time)! DD is at grandparents/nursery for the next few days so will persevere, but it's not sustainable if it's going to be like this for weeks as I need to be a good mummy to dd too.
DS had first feed at 6am, and is still going strong...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now