Curdled milk - is it ever normal??

(6 Posts)
BigPigLittlePig Wed 02-Jan-13 16:36:26

Thankyou!

Fingers crossed this means DD will give my boobs a break so I can sleep for longer than 2 hours tonight therefore avoiding sleep deprived nervous breakdown....

PieceOfTheMoon Wed 02-Jan-13 16:31:57

If you do have this problem apparently scorching the milk before storing it makes it keep longer, but that seemed like such a faff I never tried it, just gave up expressing (which I hated anyway, so was glad of the excuse!)

EarnestDullard Wed 02-Jan-13 16:31:01

Mine separates in the fridge. I warm it in hot water before giving it to DD, give it a shake and the creamier bits dissolve back in.

JimbosJetSet Wed 02-Jan-13 16:28:52

Yes, perfectly normal - it always separates in the bottle! Give it a shake and away you go grin

PieceOfTheMoon Wed 02-Jan-13 16:28:45

I think it's normal for the fattier milk to float to the top, you can just shake to mix it back in. Give it a taste if you're worried - it should keep in the fridge, but some people have too much lipase which makes it taste horrible pretty quickly. Mine only kept for a few hours.

BigPigLittlePig Wed 02-Jan-13 16:19:09

I have been bf my 5 week old, and thought I'd try expressing. Having (slowly, painstakingly) expressed throughout the day, into sterile bottle which I kept in the fridge, I was a little (very) gutted to find that the milk looked curdled when I went to give it to DD. Down the sink it went sad.

Today the same has happened again, SO...can this be normal? Does ebm separate in the fridge? Is it safe to give? Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now