Growth Spurts, Mastitis and Engorgement questions

(9 Posts)
leedy Tue 01-Jan-13 17:59:06

As well as feeding frequently, I found lecithin really helpful for preventing/treating blocked ducts, also moist heat at the first sign of a blockage/engorgement - hot wet facecloth on the breast before a feed, or massaging in a hot shower. Alternatively, haven't tried it but a friend recommends hot water on a disposable nappy as it keeps in the water/heat.

Thank you Couscous for all that info, wasn't so bad last night. I've got antibiotics from the doctor but I'm hoping to prevent a reoccurance. I think it was probably caused this time by a combination of DD's growth spurt and DS cutting feeds down. Still feeling light-headed and having to force myself to eat and drink so will see the GP if it continues.

Welovecouscous Mon 31-Dec-12 22:45:37

With engorgement you should hand express to comfort when you are engorged and you can also encourage baby to feed if you are starting to feel uncomfy.

Welovecouscous Mon 31-Dec-12 22:44:06

Supplements - nursing mums in uk are advised to take vit D I think. I would check that with the HV.

Welovecouscous Mon 31-Dec-12 22:43:09

Right - preventing:

- use proper nursing bras
- be wary of pressure on breasts - reduce pressure from sling
- look out for symptoms plugged ducts as these can turn into mastitis
- deal with engorgement as soon as it happens (gentle hand expression to keep breasts soft)
- keep your baby feeding frequently - offer often
- have as much rest as possible and try to minimise stress
- taking one tablespoon of lecithin a day can help
- reducing saturated fat from the diet reduces plugged ducts and so also mastitis

Welovecouscous Mon 31-Dec-12 22:37:57

Big up to you as a tandem feeding mum smile very impressed and hope I'll be where you are soon when I get pg again!

Really sorry to hear you are feeling ill - you are probably still very run down and tired from the birth and looking after your new baby.

There are good LLL resources on mastitis and from a quick glance on their site the main advice is feed frequently, rest, applying heat - warm compress/ hot bath or shower/lean over basin and immerse breasts, feeding immediately after applying heat. Different positions can help drain the breast.

If you have a high temp or if you still feel unwell after 24 hours of symptoms they say you should go to the dr.

If feeding isn't keeping the breast soft you can express to the point where it is soft. It's ok to gently wake your baby to feed if you need to to reduce engorgement. You can take the bra off for the moment to reduce pressure.

Sure you know all the above already!

Just going to look in my bf book and see if it answers your questions.

Thank you. Yes I've heard there's a fair few causes, I'm not sure which applies to me. The local breastfeeding group hasn't been that helpful as my experience has increased which is a shame. Hopefully I'll find some answers here or by doing a bit more research

GEM33 Mon 31-Dec-12 14:38:35

Does anyone know about mastitis? /tandem feeding?

From what you ve said about how you are feeling I think you should see the gp. Im not so good on mastitis but i think you need to feed or express regularly and prevent getting engorged/blocked ducts. I think there is an infective type you can get too which im not sure you can do much to prevent like i say its not my best subject!

hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along xx poor you and pat on the back for feeding two of them!!

I'm currently tandem feeding DS (nearly 23 months) and DD (10 weeks) and have developed mastitis for the 2nd time since DD was born. I'm not sure exactly why I've got it again but I'm presuming its a few factors such as wearing DD in a sling for a lot of the time (she'll only sleep on me but sleeps so well compared to DS at the same age I don't want to stop) only having one proper nursing bra (although I've removed the under wires from the others) and irregular nursing patterns.

DD feeds as often as every 45 mins during the day at the moment, I kept a record yesterday as it's felt fairly frequent recently (had a growth spurt over Christmas I think) and the longest she went was 2.5 hours while asleep in the sling. During the growth spurt she was feeding a lot during the night as well but now she's feeding just twice. DS feeds 3-5 times on a good day, much more when unwell and almost never at night. I am getting very engorged overnight.

I am pretty sure I have conjunctivitis as well as a headache, sore throat and generally feeling rubbish. I've also been feeling very light-headed and weak (thought this was probably the growth spurt as I had the same when DS had them) and have lost my appetite a fair bit. I'm finding it very difficult to drink enough (generally find it unpleasant to drink but that's a whole other story) but I am forcing down around 1-1.5 litres a day at the moment.

So my questions are
* is there anything I can do to prevent getting mastitis again?

* should I be taking a vitamin supplement? If so, what? (currently taking floradix in case light-headedness is caused by low iron as I'm pretty exhausted as well)

* how long can I expect the engorgement to last before my body gets used to it? And am I right to just wait until baby/toddler wants a feed rather than express any off?

I think that's it! Any advice very much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now