How many poos a day?

(11 Posts)
squidkid Thu 03-Jan-13 08:25:07

Thanks for your help! We have made the move to reusables for the new year. So far we have had one wee leak (but I think the nappies & inserts will get more absorbent after a few washes?) but even giant poos are fine. They look comfy and cute!
For now I am sticking with disposables overnight as boyfriend changes her at 5am with his eyes practically shut

I am keeping a tally of how many times I use them and once I make my money back every time I use one is money saved!!

geekette
I actually bought a bargain ebay lot - 20 nappies + 40 inserts for £40 - I figured that was such a good deal I'd give them a try before considering the pricier branded ones
They are lovely day-glo colours and fit nicely. They were dry almost before they came out the machine also so that's great.

Ironically since I posted the question she seems to have gone down to 3-4 poos a day which is a lot more manageable!

geekette Mon 31-Dec-12 22:57:32

By the way, I wouldn't get a great big stash of reusables in one go.

Get one or two of a few types and try them out first... Some can be rented for trial purposes. Can't remember which sites do that....

JollyOldChristmas Mon 31-Dec-12 22:51:43

DS continued to poo lots of times a day more than once a day until he was over 1. Now at 20mo 1 poo a day is normal. He's never gone more than about 36 hours despite being bf until last week.

A wide range fits into the normal category smile

geekette Mon 31-Dec-12 22:46:54

With reusables, I find it isn't the frequency of the poo which counts but it's volume...

If your lo poos that often you simply need a larger stash of nappies and a pretty large nappy bag smile

if she has frequent poonamis... I would stick with disposables to be honest. and that is only if the disposable holds it in. I found Naty's great for this. the others all seem a bit rubbish with what my lo is capable of producing.

AngelDog Mon 31-Dec-12 22:27:59

We use mostly washables and DS2 poos a few times a day. I don't find them any harder to deal with than disposables - in fact, disposables are more effort as they're more likely to leak onto clothes and you I have to find a bag to put them in whereas cloth get chucked in the bucket/laundry bag whether soiled or not.

DD2 is FF and poos once a day. I think shes in the minority. Shes almost 7 weeks.

AngelDog Sun 30-Dec-12 23:51:50

I've read that a poo per feed is a sign of a healthy bowel, although for many, frequency decreases with age.

Ihatepeas Sun 30-Dec-12 22:47:22

My little one is 7 weeks and up until 3 weeks pooed up to 10 times a day. The past few weeks she has pooed once every 4 days. Spoke to the hv who said either extreme is perfectly normal.
I have been working as a nanny for 15 years and can confirm they definatly poop more regularly as they get older and much less than 8 times a day!

squidkid Sun 30-Dec-12 20:51:36

I am EBF, sorry should have mentioned that
Does the frequency decrease as they get older?
I am weighing up whether to start with reusable nappies or not...

fannywetleg Sun 30-Dec-12 20:49:27

My DS used to have days when we would have several poo's (like 5- 8) and other days when he had none. At one stage he had none for two weeks - I EBF for 6 months and I think how you feed makes a difference. However, the HV told me that as long as baby is well, gaining weight etc then how many times a day they poo (or not!) is irrelevant. After all we are all different

squidkid Sun 30-Dec-12 20:41:16

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, not sure where to put this.
Just a really quick question, my baby is 12 weeks old and poos 5-8 times a day. She is totally well, healthy, feeding brilliantly, etc. I thought this was normal but it seems many babies poo a lot less often! I really want to move to reusable nappies at some point but can't quite face doing it with this frequency of poo!

Just a quick poll - how many poos a day do you have??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now