Homemade Raw Cows Milk Formula (Weston A Price)?

(14 Posts)
Lindalee942 Sun 30-Dec-12 19:17:00

My husband and I are wondering if we can make our own formula. The opinions/research/science is all so contradicting.. confused Do any of you have actually experience with homemade formula's, perhaps even Weston A Price's one? Look forward hearing from you smile

Raw cow's milk? I thought you couldn't get it any more. confused I have seen the recipe. Please don't feed this stuff to your baby.

If manufactured formula-- which is subjected to rules about what it can contain and has all the vitamins and minerals a baby needs-- is not an option for whatever reason then how about looking into human donor milk? There are organisations that help match donors to recipients, try Human Milk for Human Babies (HM4HB).

I would not recommend trying to make your own formula at home, especially out of raw cow's milk. Not sure what contradictory advice you've heard about it but I doubt you will find a single person with proper medical qualifications that thinks it's a good idea.

grobagsforever Sun 30-Dec-12 20:36:02

Yes, it's called breast milk.

grobagsforever Sun 30-Dec-12 20:37:17

Sorry, that was curt. But seriously why on earth would you do this?

Fairylea Sun 30-Dec-12 20:41:33

Why? For what reasons when there are so many perfectly acceptable formulas out there on the market... all different kinds.. with the right nutritional content??

Seems a lot of hard work and a bit dangerous in terms of ensuring you get all the right stuff in there.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 30-Dec-12 20:48:11

I don't understand why you would do this.

Either breastfeed, or use regular formula that is safe provided you stick to the guidelines about making it.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Sun 30-Dec-12 20:49:35

Actually I was wondering how to make cows milk safe and digestible for a 6 month old. Doncha just boil it for a bit? Nutrients leave it but it becomes digestible and a reasonable alternative for an odd feed. Can anyone back me up!?

cheddarcheeselover Sun 30-Dec-12 20:53:01

from 6m babies are fine to cows milk on cereal/in porridge etc with nothing having been done to it, the reason they shouldn't have it as a drink till over a year is that it doesn't have enough nutrition in it. I can't see how boiling it would help with that.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Sun 30-Dec-12 20:54:32

The protein load can cause intestinal bleeding, so breaking down the protein by boiling could help.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 30-Dec-12 20:55:57

Starlight - there is nothing indigestible, it is not nutrient dense/available enough.

So no need to boil. I can't see what the harm would be in replacing a feed with it in extremis, I think I would rather have done that than use formula if the situation had arisen.

So OP, what's your story?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 30-Dec-12 20:56:42

Really? Versus eating cheese or meat?

MangoLangoTango Sun 30-Dec-12 21:15:44

Aside from the danger of raw milk containing microorganisms harmful to an infant, cow's milk is way to high in sodium for a human infant. An infant's kidneys are too immature to regulate their sodium intake so this is highly dangerous.

SirBoobAlot Sun 30-Dec-12 21:18:34

Some of the Crunchy pages on facebook have followers who have done this. Personally I'm not sure I would. Understand your hesitations with formula. If breastfeeding yourself isn't an option, have you considered donated milk?

StarOfLightMcKings3 Sun 30-Dec-12 22:01:04

Dunno. I saw it briefly on Kellymom.

Prolly just give fruit and water if going out for a few hours, and catch up when get back. Trouble is though that our only available babysitter (DM) is scared of feeding baby anything other than milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now