natural term BF and sex.

(7 Posts)
allthegoodnamesweretaken Sun 30-Dec-12 12:56:09

I'm bf very nearly 2 yo DD. I'm planning on letting her self wean. The ONLY issue I have with bf is that it has seriously lowered my libido. I'm just not interested. But I think relationship with DH is suffering for it so I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Did you have/are you having this issue? How did you deal with it? Am I just not going to DTD until I stop bf??

izzyhasanewchangeling Sun 30-Dec-12 13:03:13

It hasnt affected mine, I see it as an important part of our relationship and do make an extra effort though (for both our sakes not dhs).

I have been pregnant or BF for over 5 years though, so it would be dead in the water by now.

Often its making the effort to get started thats the hardest part isn't it - it is for me anyway.

I think as well the longer you have gone on the harder it gets, can you start having a "date" night (no pressure for sex), showers together? that sort of thing?

leedy Sun 30-Dec-12 13:39:36

I'm not sure to what extent breastfeeding affected my libido as I was also on an SSRI for PND for a year (which definitely dented it), but I do agree that there's also a psychological element of "the longer you've gone without, the harder it gets". I definitely remember not feeling interested until we decided to TTC again and then regaining a lot of interest after first making the effort.

mamawharton Sun 30-Dec-12 19:27:12

op im in the same position as you! relieved im not alone in this. didn't have sex during pregnancy and been feeding for 10 months. it has put a massive strain on our relationship but to make it worse we don't talk about it so its like an elephant in the room. at times!! i just don't feel like it. we really need to reconnect but finding it so hard as when dd goes to sleep im shattered!! xx

Anothercuppatea Sun 30-Dec-12 19:31:06

I often wonder if the lower libido while bf is natures extra contraception?

LadyWidmerpool Sun 30-Dec-12 19:35:13

Have your periods come back? I felt better once mine did at 14 months.

allthegoodnamesweretaken Sun 30-Dec-12 20:09:58

I've got the implant, so I haven't had any but my sister hasn't got any children and doesn't have periods on the implant either. I was considering having the implant removed, because I read somewhere that it can lower your libido, and well what's the point if I'm not DTD anyway?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now