Fenugreek has stopped working

(4 Posts)
Thechick Sat 29-Dec-12 09:43:58

I have been using fenugreek since my little one was about 3 or 4 weeks old. He is now almost 12 weeks but was born 6 weeks early. I didn't start expressing straight after he was born and I think this is why my supply was low to begin with. It looks like the fenugreek has stopped working. I started off taking 1 tablet 3 times a day but recently it's been 2, 3 times a day. Two days ago, I felt like I had no milk. LO sucks differently at the end of a feed and that's been happening at the start and he hasn't really had that boob drunk look and he's been waking a lot more recently. If he doesn't fall asleep during a feed he would suck his fists and do a head bobbing thing that signals he's hungry after every feed. We have been getting wet nappies but no real big poo's in the past couple if days.
Not sure if I should stop taking the fenugreek slowly or can just stop. If I do pump and feed to get the milk up do I need to supplement or will just feeding be enough.
I am going to call a bf support line but just wondered if anyone has been in this position before.
Thanks in advance

babybouncer Sat 29-Dec-12 12:40:47

I don't know much about fenugreek except that I took it for a while to get my supply up and I stopped because it had worked and dd took over from there regulating supply.

Babies do change how they feed - after a while they don't fall off milk drunk/asleep and eventually they start to shorten feeds. What you need to look for is weight gain, wet nappies and a happy baby.

ZuleikaD Sat 29-Dec-12 16:05:14

And don't worry about no poos - bf babies often go days without pooing. A bf support line may well help, but the best way to up your supply is simply to feed a lot. Don't worry about 'feeling' like you've got no milk - if the nappies are wet, you've got milk! I also wouldn't place too much reliance on hunger 'signs' like head bobbing - they're not 100% reliable, though can be indicators. Sometimes they just do stuff. If he's happy in himself, gaining weight well and has plenty of wet nappies, you're both doing fine.

Thechick Sat 29-Dec-12 17:52:13

Thanks for the replies. The LLL lady thinks its a growth spurt and to just feed feed feed. She said I should continue with the fenugreek which I'll do for now. Would like to stop taking it at some point though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now