BF as contraception - does it work?

(27 Posts)
delilah88 Mon 17-Dec-12 13:59:00

I am EBF at least every 3-4 hours, sometimes 4.5/5hrs in the night. I have read that this can be an effective contraceptive, and so we have started off having unprotected sex, but I thought I'd ask for a second opinion. Conceived instantly before so am obviously quite fertile.
Does EBF work as a contraceptive? Has anyone else done this? If not, then what contraception did you use instead? Am loath to start taking pill as have never got on with it.
Thanks!

mawbroon Tue 08-Jan-13 21:17:49

The bottom line is that if breastfeeding is keeping ovulation at bay then you won't get pregnant BUT ovulation could start up at any time and if you don't know how to recognise it then yes of course you could get pg.

FWIW, I was ttc no2 for 2.5yrs with a regular cycle, but the breastfeeding kept my luteal phase too short for successful implantation. So, for me, breastfeeding worked as a contraceptive extremely effectively for 3.5yrs.

But if you don't know how to spot ovulation then don't rely on it.

Saranza Thu 10-Jan-13 12:16:12

Interesting. Very true that shortened luteal phase is another way that breastfeeding acts as contraception.

I disagree about the need to recognise ovulation though (unless you're using it for a longer time). One of the great things about LAM is that you don't have to chart or know Toni Weschler back to front - you just have to stick to the rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now