7 week old DD seems to need to suck to help her poo. Will this last forever?

(5 Posts)
YompingJo Sun 09-Dec-12 15:07:03

sleighbells, the start of feeds is fine as I can get her latched on OK but she doesn't stay well latched so it's more the end of feeds, or the grizzly, need-a-poo ones, that are painful.

NotQuite, yes, have had help and am in process of arranging more. The latch issue stems from the oversupply from my over-achieving boobs which is a whole other story. I'm block feeding to tackle this, so nipples get more of a battering than they otherwise would before getting a break. No, she won't be fooled for more than a few seconds by a finger, she just gets more agitated! She's a cross little person a lot of the time.

If others have had this, at what age did your DCs get less distressed by bodily functions, or more able to poo without it being a dramatic, long-lasting, wriggling, punching, kicking, attention-seeking affair?

Are you getting help with the latch issues?

Would she take your finger, when she needs to suck for pooing?

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Sun 09-Dec-12 10:42:13

Your latch issues won't last forever, and when you don't dread the agonising start of a feed you won't care what her reasons are for wanting to suck.

HearMyRoar Sun 09-Dec-12 10:38:46

my dd was similar at that age. she has always found her bodily functions rather traumatic poor thing. bm has a laxative effect so helps them get the business done and also I think it just relaxes them which makes everything a bit easier.

It does get better and she will come to terms with her insides in time.

YompingJo Sun 09-Dec-12 09:17:32

DD is ebf and 7 weeks old today. She gets very agitated when she needs to poo (thankfully this is slightly less often than it was last week but still a few times a day) or just pass wind. Her arms go mad, she rubs her face, her legs ho rigid then bendy over and over z and she wants to suck. Have tried dummy but she gets outraged. Have tried just not putting get to breast at there times bit she gets more and more agitated and I hate seeing her uncomfortable, so it seems only way to calm her.

We have latch issues and thus is killing my boobs as she is not interested in latching properly at these times so my nipples get a battering sad. It's making me really frustrated, it's causing me pain and I don't know what to do. Had anyone else had this, how long did it last? Any advice?

Sorry about typos, stupid phone on its last legs, won't let me correct and will be lucky if it survives another week...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now