8wo gulping air with feeds (bf)

(9 Posts)
zoobaby Sat 08-Dec-12 22:43:46

Totally feeling your pain hobnob. I wish that people like MWs/GPs/HVs/BF supporters could just agree with each other! I'm only 11 weeks in and I'm amazed at how much differing and conflicting info has been given. A lot of info and practise around BFing seems to be total guess work.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Dec-12 22:04:44

It's worth ruling out. If you want to read up on it try googling " milk matters tongue tie", they even do a virtual diagnosis service.

hobnob57 Sat 08-Dec-12 21:58:45

He has his paed check on Monday so will ask about the tongue tie again there, and also loosen the nappies in the meantime and see how it goes. I just wish there was something simple like a magic position that solved it all grin

zoobaby Sat 08-Dec-12 21:51:51

A long shot. My little boy is also an air gulper. A few weeks back he also used to writhe in pain and we could do nothing to soothe (feeling totally hopeless). Then by lucky accident we realised that his evening nappies were too tight (DP was "securing" it much more than I was). Cue immediate relief for little one and equal relief for us.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Dec-12 21:22:40

I'd get it checked again as reflux and gulping air can both be signs of tongue tie, just worth ruling out smile

hobnob57 Sat 08-Dec-12 21:17:45

he had a tie that was snipped at 5 days old. It was checked a week or two later and was declared a success. No more to snip, apparently, before hitting a blood vessel. He can stick out his tongue a wee bit now.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Dec-12 21:05:56

Could it be tongue tie?

hobnob57 Sat 08-Dec-12 20:52:46

*reflux

hobnob57 Sat 08-Dec-12 20:52:36

As if silent reflus wasn't enough - ds has started gulping huge mouthfuls of air when feeding, especially from rhs, and refusing to burp them up again. Then he falls asleep. Then wakes in agony shortly afterwards. Is inconsolable and writhing. The only thing that consoles him is the boob. And so it starts again...

Argh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now