How to wean an 18 month old - desperate!

(3 Posts)
GalaxyDisaster Wed 05-Dec-12 07:38:52

DD1 fed to two, when she self weaned. I had planned to do the same with DD2, but her 'nursing manners' are driving me to distraction.

By this age, DD1 was happily feeding twice a day. DD2 is still doing around four times. This would be ok, but she is constantly asking for 'mee' and I find myself having to say later or no such a lot (I tried saying yes, she just fed about 20 times a day). She spends most of the day trying to put her hand down my top and twiddle my nipple. I hate my nipples being touched in any circumstance. I know it is 'just' comfort to her, but I find it uncomfortable and upsetting to the point of angry tears welling up in my eyes when I have gently but firmly removed her hand for the 100th time and it goes straight back in.

At night, she wants 'mee' frequently. A good night would be twice. A bad one up to half a dozen times, increasing in frequency as morning approaches. She becomes furious if refused. We room share (until v recently we didn't have a room to move her into) so at least I am not getting physically up and out of bed. By about 5am she bed shares. This is not ideal because the nipple twiddling starts again, but at least I can be lying down. I have tried to night wean her about four times. What happens is that her sleep improves initially (to one or two wakings), but the wakings are long ones. Then it gets worse again, to the point where she is up half the night. The something will intervene, like teething or a cold or being at someone elses house, and I will cave. She certainly doesn't 'get the hang of it' within 3 or 4 nights the way all those books seem to claim.

Recently, I find myself thinking more and more about weaning her. But I have no idea how to go about it.

Help!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Dec-12 11:12:23

Think you need to tackle the nights first. Google askdrsears 12 alternatives for the all night nurser, as it sound give you some good tips. Sound sleep is a good book, its on the nct shop website.

Both of mine sound like yours, my dd (dc2) wanted it constantly too. The bad news is that stopping bfing made very little difference. She would still ask for it constantly and stick her hand down my top.

I'd work on trying to set limits. A bfc might be able to help you on one of the helplines or google kellymom nursing manners.

GalaxyDisaster Wed 05-Dec-12 22:07:12

Thanks for those. Sorry - I had to go out so couldn't reply earlier.

I have had a read of DrSears. I think most of them have either been tried or aren't really the issue - e.g. if I wake her for a feed just before bed she thinks it's a bonus and continues to wake as normal! 8 and 9 sound interesting and possibly worth a shot though.

Please don't say that about the groping. I may sob grin

I hadn't thought of KellyMom and I'll take a look at that book.

Thanks again for replying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now