Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

How to stay awake during night feeds - part 5

(1000 Posts)
MrsNPattz Mon 03-Dec-12 21:19:53

Here we are grin

goat thanks, I could but am worried about putting the car seat in!

We are putting the Moses basket in the big cot tonight to start getting him used to it as he will be too big for the basket soon!!

Bed time not going well so far.......

StuntNun Mon 31-Dec-12 10:50:16

Oh no MrsN that's awful having to change bedding in the middle of the night.

MrsNPattz Mon 31-Dec-12 15:01:19

Well I had my diet coke with lunch, I enjoyed it but I won't be doing it often - feel a bit funny now and not really in a good way! Now off to the second largest M&S in the UK yippee for shopping! Only got one month left on full pay - don't know how I'm going to cope. So making the most of it now grin

MrsNPattz Mon 31-Dec-12 15:01:56

susie I do think little man sleeps more when he's not quite right!

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Mon 31-Dec-12 17:53:43

Well it's taken me this long to catch up which is ridiculous but I've been busy tidying for the new year. Not that the house looks much different.mi have sorted babies room out which hopefully means I'll go there to feed rather than in bed. I've been falling asleep holding baby j and as I'm in medication that makes me sleepy then it's no good.

We had not one night feed last night which is good. We tend to take him upstairs with us at around midnight as that's when he has last feed but just wondered what others do? Baby J is only 8.5 weeks so I don't want to out him upstairs alone yet and he tends to not really sleep til midnight anyway but I wonder if we should be doing anything different!?

Smallgreenone Mon 31-Dec-12 20:41:24

Happy new year all!
Baby small has a cold and has not fed well all day as think he feels poorly so expect I will have a bad night. He doesn't seem to sleep more though although it would probably help of he did. Poor little chap he's all blocked up and snuffly.
What's everyone got planned for tonight? I'm going to try and stay awake but already shattered so not sure if I'll make it.

BrainGoneAwol Mon 31-Dec-12 21:07:10

Not even attempting to stay up... Dp cooked a delicious dinner and we had some wine grin.

Went shopping at westfield and babybrain giggled and smiled his way around for hours. Maybe had a couple of 40 minute naps and was all smiley back home. Collapsed in tears at 7.30 and has been moreorless out cold since wink

Settling in for the night now. Dp angling for some 'us' time blush

Happy new year to you all! Hope you have good nights smile

MrsNPattz Mon 31-Dec-12 21:11:00

We are being incredibly boring and staying in - I'm drinking water and eating chocolate grin but I'm with my boys, my mum and my dad so I wouldn't have it any other way smile hope you all have a lovely night - I'm attempting to stay up too but not sure it will happen.

MrsNPattz Mon 31-Dec-12 21:30:44

Well that didn't last long - decided to come upstairs with little man as it's not fair trying to keep him up. So I will definitely be sleeping by 12!!

Ameybee Mon 31-Dec-12 23:50:09

We've been to a do at local school hall but I now have one overtired baby and overtired DD! And I'm knackered & we have both sets of parents staying here (lovely but its not quite the same as having house to ourselves). Think next year we will have a quiet one just us at home! I'm anticipating another bad night given the serious over tiredness! He's asleep in my arms but his hands are twitchy so I know he's tricking! Might be upstairs me n him at midnight! Maybe this time next year we will all be getting loads of sleep???! God I hope so! Happy new year all! Xx

Macaroons Tue 01-Jan-13 01:21:53

Happy New Year everyone! Hope our babies will start sleeping through the night soon so we can all get more sleep! smile

I'm getting fed up with breast feeding as my DS is always fighting me when I try to feed him. It's been fine in the first 2-3 months but recently it's starting to get very tricky, he'd turn his head away after seconds whilst he's still hungry, and cry as if in starving him. I have to skilfully move his head to my breast, sometimes standing up myself, to try to feed him. The night feed just now has taken over an hour!!! confused

Sigh. I don't want to give up bf yet but it's very tiring when he doesn't cooperate.

Sorry for such moaning first thing in 2013...

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Tue 01-Jan-13 01:36:43

Happy new year everyone smile

MrsNPattz Tue 01-Jan-13 01:41:34

Happy New Year!

First feed here so I've had about 3 hours - last night must have been a fluke!

Respect to those who managed to stay awake!

BrainGoneAwol Tue 01-Jan-13 02:16:56

First feed so not too bad. I think babybrain was woken by the upstairs flat coming in from partying as they went out earlier and I can hear them banging around up there. Ho hum. Suspected that might happen.

Impressed by those who stayed up. I don't have the stamina at all!

macaroons, ds has been a nightmare to feed more recently. I can't decide whether it is because he's so completely distractable or whether he's developed reflux. I tried putting a muslin over his head and patting I'm on the bum which helped a bit but not completely. He does feed better at night when he is sleepy though so I think he maybe isn't hungry enough to focus his mind. No idea if that sounds like your ds?

Happy 2013!

Susieloo Tue 01-Jan-13 02:20:08

Happy new year!!

New years resolution will be to get another grobag so that when the first gets vommed on I have a back up!!!

Smallgreenone Tue 01-Jan-13 03:16:13

Happy new year!!!
macaroons baby small is exactly the same andim fed up too!! Particularly as its meant that for one reason or another he feeds more at night than in the day.

StuntNun Tue 01-Jan-13 03:18:33

Second feed of the night here so hopefully it won't be constant like last night.

Susie I got Grobags in TKMaxx for £8 each.

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Tue 01-Jan-13 03:36:42

Happy New Year all.

May 2013 be full of wonderful things and beautiful sleep. smile

BrainGoneAwol Tue 01-Jan-13 05:13:55

Second feed. Hopefully get another couple of hours in after this.

susie we got ours from sainsburys - also silly cheap.

Susieloo Tue 01-Jan-13 07:42:05

Thank you for grobag tips, babyloo woke up after first feed coughing and threw it all back up and I didn't have a spare so he was back in his sleep suit. I elevated the end of his cot and gave him some calpol and he settled really well and went through from 8 until 2 ish I think. Up again for the day at 05.20. He's not really eating either.

We are off to mil's for the day when dp gets his arse out of bed, looking forward to a Sunday dinner that I don't have to cooksmile

yuletopian99 Tue 01-Jan-13 08:30:47

Susieloo does elevating their head help with reflux? Ours (ds/dc1, 5 days old, clueless first timer) seems to be constantly throwing up a bit of everything I get down him and it's making me a bit desperate..

MrsNPattz Tue 01-Jan-13 08:44:29

Well maybe it wasn't a fluke - because this is our second feed! So he went from 2 til now, although he has been awake a while just chewing his fingers. Maybe he just wanted mummy up at half 1 so she could say happy new year grin

susie I have 3 grobags and the 2 wadded sleep suits!!

Susieloo Tue 01-Jan-13 08:46:03

No idea sorry yule but I think there are some babies on here with reflux so hopefully someone will come along and answer your question better than I can-ds is nearly six months old and I'm still clueless!!

StuntNun Tue 01-Jan-13 11:48:34

Yule if it's proper reflux you need medicine for it. A classic sign is crying whenever they're put down. All babies have a bit of reflux, the oesophageal sphincter doesn't work properly until about three months, so will posset or occasionally vomit. If it's full-blown reflux (look up GERD) then you will need medicine and to raise the baby's head when lying down, usually by putting something under one end of the cot. Ask your MW or HV about it or go to the GP.

StuntNun Tue 01-Jan-13 11:50:32

Susie Sunday dinner on Tuesday?

funchum8am Tue 01-Jan-13 11:52:17

Morning ladies, happy new year! I wasn't on last night as left my phone in the car but had to have her in with us from 4:20 as we are at friends and didn't want her to wake them by wailing. Anyway we made it to midnight, including dh which is quite unbelievable, he normally conks out really early!

Macaroons we are having the exact same thing with fighting feeds but crying as hungry....very annoying. It generally results in me having to feed her in several short bursts rather than one proper feed each time confused

Babyfunch has reflux and elevating the cot didn't work for us but the gp eventually prescribed Gaviscon and that did work. We only give her about a third of the recommended dose for her weight as the full amount made her constipated, but she is never sick any more so long as we give her it, and even if we miss a dose she seems to be ok now so I am wondering whether her stomach valve has matured to the point where she would be ok without the Gaviscon. We are back to the doctor on Friday to discuss how it is going. I would recommend going to the GP, they should be sympathetic especially if you point out it is causing you sleep deprivation...my GP was more worried about the effect on me than baby to be honest!

This thread is not accepting new messages.