Exhausted by constant feeding

(8 Posts)
MummyIsMagic79 Mon 03-Dec-12 02:15:00

I am currently feeding DC3. Have been since about 11pm. Shattered. He is 3 days old. Last night fed til 5.20am and then woke before 8. Anybody any ideas on what to do? Five hours of feeding is killing me already.

TIA

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Mon 03-Dec-12 02:25:49

Is your milk in yet? I found that both mine fed constantly at night and then settled down a bit once my milk was in on Day 4. Also, how often are you feeding in the day? I found that feeding every 2.5 hrs (minimum) from 7am to 10pm made the nights better. They are often mixed up about day and night to start with, and frequent daytime feeding, which prevents them sleeping for long periods of time, helps to turn them around.

BuffyFairy Mon 03-Dec-12 02:33:34

Someone far more knowledgeable than me will hopefully be along soon but didn't want to read and run.

Congratulations on your new ds smile

I'm afraid it sounds pretty normal for such a young baby. Some of them do feed what feels like constantly and it will be building up your supply so hang in there. If you need a little break will he suck on your little finger for a bit?

Is he doing enough wet / dirty nappies?

Are you experiencing cracked or bleeding nipples?

Can you feed lying down? If not, practice. Then you'll be able to catnap at the same time if you practise safe co-sleeping.

I feel for you, those early days are exhausting!

WaitingForMe Mon 03-Dec-12 02:53:47

Do you have a DP?

My DS is 13 days old and I express once or twice during the day (until I get about 100ml). I go to bed around 9pm and DH uses this to give him his first of the near constant night feeds around 11pm then brings him up for the next one. This way I get a couple of hours sleep in advance of the long night.

Prior to tonight DH cup fed him as I was worried about affecting his latch but he had a bottle for the first time tonight and latched fine.

junemami Mon 03-Dec-12 03:24:59

Absolutely hideous but oh so normal & it will pass! All this cluster feeding is so important for establishing a good supply. I found it worse if I kept willing dd to stop feeding so I could get some sleep, better to just accept that this is what they need to do and you'll catch up on sleep some time smile lots of good advice on other threads about co sleeping safely also.
Try not to be tempted to give formula as it will mess with your supply.

Good luck

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 04-Dec-12 02:51:33

Hang in there it's v early days and. normal. Once milk is in it will Bea bit better.

Remember that baby isn't just after milk at this stage, its comfort too- baby will want to be close to you as it it adjusts to outside world. They also need to learn difference between day and night. It feels so exhausting for you as you've just had to give birth so are already tired.

It will pass but I know it feels like forever now. I was there 3 or 4 wks ago with my new DC2.

Don't express or do anything other than b/feed (assuming you want to exclusively breast feed) at this stage - it's such important stage to get milk established. Hold off expressing for at least 4 wks whilst your supply regulates.

You are doing so well. Hang in there it gets better xx

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 04-Dec-12 02:53:15

* be better. Bloody phone!

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 04-Dec-12 02:54:48

Also advice to accept it is good. Assume you will be awake all night and if you are not its a bonus.

Sleep when baby does in the day and don't do anything else ( hard I know but helps)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now