4 week old having too much?

(8 Posts)
shouldIbecrossaboutthis Mon 03-Dec-12 11:03:43

My breastfed baby weighed 8lb14oz at birth and now at 8 weeks weighs 13lb 7oz. So he gains (on average) 10 oz a week.

Your baby put on 12oz in 4 weeks.

If my maths is right, I don't see how your babies gain is a problem, so long as you aren't forcing her to finish the bottle and you're using the appropriate teats I would this it's fine?

Zara1984 Mon 03-Dec-12 09:41:16

I wouldn't worry too much OP, my 5 week old DS eats way more than he "should" and GP and public health nurse aren't fussed. He takes 7+ 5oz bottles a day!

We are bottle feeding on demand, was told this was fine. I mean what are you meant to do, let a hungry baby cry its eyes out? Common sense dictates that babies cry because they're hungry ie need the food - not because they're gluttons!

At birth DS weighed 7lb 4 oz, at 4 weeks 3 days he weighed 10lb 6oz!!!

Thanks. I didnt think newborns could be over fed either. We are feeding on demand (despite the MWs telling me not to hmm ) and I dont want to stop that. So I think I will just up the bottles when I need to and ignore the HV about her weight.

BikeRunSki Sun 02-Dec-12 10:20:06

'Hag' was meant to be 'HV'. Brilliant autocorrect!

If your DD is happy and within normal weight range, I wouldn't worry.

TheonlyWayisGerard Sun 02-Dec-12 10:15:34

DD was only 4 or even 5 oz at that age. And she weighed around 11lb, she was just over 8 when born. The HV didn't comment on it at all. I wouldn't pay any attention to her tbh.

When I told her what DD was taking she went quiet and then said "dont be upping her bottles for a good while" and said it was more than enough etc.

BikeRunSki Sun 02-Dec-12 10:08:42

My babies both had a similar amount at similar ages. DS was also 7lb 10oz, DD 7lb 3oz. So it sounds normal to me! Was Hag suggesting your baby is having too much? I am not sure you can overfeed a newborn. My two are 4 and 1 now and perfectly normal weights.

DD2 is nearly 4 weeks old. On wednesday she was weighed and is 8lbs 10 oz. She was 7lbs 14oz at birth.

The HV commented that that was a big weight gain but didnt make too much of a fuss. I checked to see what she should be taking and found a guide oine that said 2.5 ozs for every lb in weight.

So if I round her up to 9lbs thats 22.5 ozs a day.

She is taking 4oz bottles every 3 hours. Sometimes every 2. So shes taking between 32 and 48 ozs a day shock

Is that something to worry about? Should she really be that hungry. She had been bringing some backup. But she hasnt for the last week now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now