CS, painkillers and BF

(11 Posts)

If you had a CS, what BF support were you given in hospital and what advice were you given on which painkillers you could take while BF?

RarelyUnreasonable Thu 29-Nov-12 10:16:12

I was in hospital for 2 nights and had liquid morphine once a day, paracetamol, a codeine one that I can't spell and diclofenac. Assured that all bf compatible. On discharge I was prescribed 3xdiclofenac a day and 6x paracetamol a day. I was told no codeine as it can affect bf. And sadly no yummy morphine.

Bf support was there when I asked - kindly mws, albeit w some conflicting advice.

feekerry Thu 29-Nov-12 14:06:52

I had a emcs 8 months ago. Got morphine first day then paracetamol and diclofenic (sp?) for about 3 weeks after. I took it like clockwork even tho i had no pain. They always said to me in hospital if your starting to get sore then you've left it too late to take the pain killers!
I had good bf support in hospital. Was in for 3 days and hospital held a bf clinic that i went along to with my newborn. I've had no problems at all with bf and still ebf now 8 months on.
What i liked was whilst i was getting whisked to recovery after cs nurse was frantically ripping my gown off to place baby on my chest for skin to skin. Also my hospital encouraged co sleeping in the hospital beds

lainey1234 Thu 29-Nov-12 15:40:15

I had a cs five weeks ago. I had a great midwife looking after me in recovery. She helped me position my baby and helped him latch on. I know other with similar experiences too - lots of help back on the ward too but not intrusively. They always asked how I felt it was going and helped when I asked

leedy Sat 01-Dec-12 17:18:28

Similar painkiller regime on two EMCS (I actually had to tell them to stop giving me opiates because they were making me spacey, I would make a terrible heroin addict), all BF-safe. Interestingly I was told codeine was OK if I really needed it - one of the prescriptions I got sent home with was for Tylex (paracetamol and codeine) but I haven't used it much this time.

I got pretty good support though to be honest DS2 latched on like a wee champ straight away so didn't need much help. Midwife was fine with him sleeping on me. smile

louschmoo Sat 01-Dec-12 20:08:37

After my EMCS I had morphine the first day then paracetomol + diclofenac whilst in hospital + for a week or two after discharge. I was strict about taking them + had no issues with pain beyond the expected soreness. No pain that kept me awake at night or anything like that. I BF from day 1 and was told my prescriptions were all BF friendly.

louschmoo Sat 01-Dec-12 20:14:37

Oh I also had great BF support in hospital - BF counsellor there mon - fri 9-5 plus all the midwives were helpful + full of advice. DS had jaundice and wouldn't latch at first as he was so sleepy. I hand expressed colostrum + fed him by syringe. Then after latching well for a day or so he had to be bottle fed with expressed milk for about 36 hours as the paeds wanted to monitor his milk intake. I had a lot of help with expressing milk + then with getting him back on the boob once he was out of the light box and off the monitoring. I then BF him for almost 7 months.

Flickstar Sat 01-Dec-12 20:55:44

I had an emcs 5 months ago. I was given fantastic support in recovery and the midwife helped me latch DS on ASAP. He fed fantastically and always has done- I had him at 10.33 on the Friday night and was discharged at 3pm the next day- crazily quick! No morphine or opiates, just left hospital with two weeks worth of diclofenac and paracetamol

BigBoPeep Mon 03-Dec-12 17:38:43

I had an elcs 8mo ago - I had paracetemol and diclofenac and took them religiously on time. Never really had much pain as a result, and I certainly think it helped lessen engorgement pain so bf went v smoothly once home.

In hosp we had a mixed time - nobody really asked me about how i intended to feed, and no pressure either way. The midwife at my cs was all about skin to skin and immediately put DD on the boob. There she stayed haha! But I did have busybody midwives telling me I was doing it wrong when I was happily feeding in the biological nuturing style. Not sure why they felt the need to interfere when it was clear baby and me were happy, but stupidly I listened to them, and from then on fed sat up.

They were dead against cosleeping though and I had NO idea a newborn would literally feed for 14hrs solid to establish supply! Between a baby that screamed whenever I put her down, sore nipples from 14hrs of suckling, 10mins sleep in 48hrs and midwives that materialised whenever I looked like dozing off to make me put the baby down so she could scream again...it was all a bit fraught and I didn't know what to think.

I think I would've been fine if I'd had somebody explain that babies really do feed CONSTANTLY at first, that's totally normal, and I'd had the strength to tell the busybodies to bog off I'm feeding lying down and that's that!

...I will next time grin

Angelico Mon 03-Dec-12 20:36:40

In hospital I had horrendous pain the night after the CS (not the first night) and got tramadol. After that all I had was diclofenac and paracetamol which were crap tbh. I was so angry afterwards that they wouldn't give me codeine as friends who had had CSs in other hospitals told me they had been given armloads. If I ever do it again I will tell them to give me proper painrelief or I will FF.

The thing that helped my pain the most was acupuncture and heat (recommended by acupuncturist, hospital never told me a thing).

This was all recent enough that I am still angry about how shit the hospital were. The docs were much better than the MWs, some of whom were utter twats. And that has been the experience of most of the people I know...

ISeeThreadPeople Mon 03-Dec-12 20:41:05

I have had 2x emcs. BF support was non existant first time round. Second time round they'd all just been retrained and they were utterly brilliant.

I didn't need painkillers but was given a prescription for diclofenac and codydramol and told what to do if I changed my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now