What do I do if DS wakes in the night after 3 nights of sleeping through?

(11 Posts)
Hlebon Tue 04-Dec-12 20:41:52

My Dd is coming up to 15months and I went back to work when she was 8/9 months old with her still having night feeds and waking 5am. Tried everything, pick up put down, controlled crying which just turned into crying crying. Have to say letting her be did work. Took a few torturous nights as my heart breaks when she cries but now she is brilliant, naps and sleeps well 7-7 at night even when teething she settles back off. I can only imagine that if I hadn't done it she would still be waking me up and getting us up early and no sleep definitely = torture in my book lol. Anyway just what we ended up doing, it's horrid and each to their own.

H x

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Dec-12 20:28:46

Glad you only had one waking, I think at 10 months, sleep regression and teething that is really good!

Crimebusterofthesea Tue 04-Dec-12 18:41:42

I did read the 31 ways and last night we only had the one waking and he was back asleep after a feed and another 15 minutes of just tossing, turning and whining, so not too bad! Teething granules seem to soothe him, just wish the effect lasted a bit longer! He does love a banana so might shove one in the freezer for tomorrow - thanks for the tip smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 02-Dec-12 19:53:02

We had some success with the ncss, might have been more only I think DS had undiagnosed tongue tie and upper lip tie. Did you manage to read 31 ways? Might give you a few tips while you are waiting for your book smile.

As for the teething, have you tried dentinox, ibuprofen and chewing on a cold, clean wet flannel? Some MNers swear by frozen bananas and teething necklaces but have never tried them myself.

Crimebusterofthesea Sun 02-Dec-12 18:33:44

I have just ordered the No Cry Sleep Solution after another awful night. When he cries, it's like my hormones go in to overdrive and I can't deal with it at all. He has had his fingers in his mouth a lot today and wants to clamp down on my fingers too, but further back in his mouth - I was really hoping we would have a bit of a break with the teething after the first 8 but it seems like the molars could be on their way already and this understandably ruins sleep for all of us! Right, time for the last feed of the day, let's see what tonight has in store..!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Dec-12 22:18:57

Poor you. There is a big sleep regression around this age so it could be that. If you need a bit of help google askdrsears 31 ways to get your baby to sleep, it's gentle but effectivesmile

Crimebusterofthesea Sat 01-Dec-12 19:29:41

Of course he did! The last couple of nights have been a disaaaasster. I did the waiting for 10 minutes, trying to settle him by rocking etc but he wasn't having it. I ended up feeding him but that didn't work either! Every time I put him down and crept out of the room, he started to cry. This went on for 90 minutes. Fingers crossed for a better night tonight.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 30-Nov-12 21:48:38

Did he wake?

Crimebusterofthesea Thu 29-Nov-12 21:53:48

Thankyou for the reply. I think I will try and settle him without but have a cut off point of ten minutes or so.

KatyN Thu 29-Nov-12 12:04:57

Hiya,
I guess it would depend on why he woke. My little man regularly wakes (brilliant) because he's lost his dummy, or his teeth are hurting but he's not hungry.

If you can get him back to sleep without feeing him, then it's worth a try to encourage him to drop that feed. However if he then wakes again 10 minutes later (ie he's hungry) you might have to carry on feeding him!

good luck,
katy

Crimebusterofthesea Thu 29-Nov-12 08:16:41

So, 10 month old DS has surprised us all by suddenly sleeping through for the last 3 nights. Before this he would have 1 or 2 night feeds. Ever the optimist, I am predicting that this won't last and am wondering whether to continue with night feeds if he does wake? I would rather stop them and try and make the most of the last 3 nights. Will cuddles but not milk from me just frustrate the life out of him? Anyone got any useful strategies?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now