Tongue-tie help in the midlands

(5 Posts)
janek Sun 18-Nov-12 14:44:11

Hi, a friend's baby has had a posterior tonguetie snipped, but it seems to have healed back again. After having put on weight post-snip she has lost weight again recently.

The woman who performed the procedure is not able to see them until next saturday (she'd lost weight at a weigh-in on friday), so was just wondering if anyone knew of anyone else who may be able to help. Or offer any advice for what she should do in the meantime.

Tia

scampidoodle Sun 18-Nov-12 15:51:04

Hi, my son had a tongue tie which was dealt with in Dudley (completely different area of the Midlands from where we live) - I get the impression there is only limited help for tongue ties. We had to be referred by the HV and I was told in no uncertain terms that we would only be seen if I was exclusively breast feeding. I understand that babies with tongue ties find it easier to bottle feed so your friend's baby might do better with a bottle (we couldn't get DS to take a bottle until he was 7 months so it wasn't an option for us). I was advised to feed every hour during the day for one day, going down to every two hours, for the next few days when we were having problems. Not sure if that helps!

janek Sun 18-Nov-12 15:55:47

Thank you, will pass it on. She does know of a woman in dudley, who is currently not available for some reason could you tell me her name, to confirm it's the same woman please? (Be a bit of a coincidence if not though, these people seem to be like hens' teeth!)

LoisLame Sun 18-Nov-12 16:51:36

There is someone based at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley who does the tongue tie release procedure, and also someone at New Cross in Wolverhampton. Feel free to pm me for names. I'm sure they would also offer some over the phone advice (esp the Wolverhampton one as she's v. nice and super dedicated). In the mean time, she could look into things such as switch nursing, deep breast compressions, expressing during feeds to increase supply and offer the expressed milk in addition to breast feeds, fenugreek tablets. Try Kellymom.com for lots more info.

janek Sun 18-Nov-12 16:56:48

Great, thanks, have pmed you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now