Tongue tie cut 3rd time today

(8 Posts)
McBaby Sat 17-Nov-12 21:53:38

Fingers crossed it doesn't reheal! I have not had any improvement in her latch so far really hoping it works this time I can't through it or put my DD through it again.

amazingmumof6 Sat 17-Nov-12 22:54:07

I've been thinking of you today!
how was it? what did surgeon say?
did they give you advice on if it's possible to avoid scar/cut fusing again and how?

how's feeding since?

I hope too that it's the end of your struggles, poor you to! big hugs

McBaby Sat 17-Nov-12 23:09:51

It was traumatic as they cut back further than last time so more blood and tears.

Slight improvement in feeding and just woken her to feed now as doc thought her 10-12 hours sleep at night with no feeding may have been contributing to the rehealing! Will do it again at 3am! It seems so wrong to wake her but think it is necessary to keep it moving!

Hoping for further improvement tomorrow as she learns to use it kore and more!

amazingmumof6 Sat 17-Nov-12 23:35:28

I can imagine it was nasty, though I think it was really what she needed to really get rid of problem!
For my DD the surgeon was so going for it I was thinking he's going to damage the nerves or the blood vessels, It really was awful!
DD had a little suckle straight after, my boob was covered in blood...

yes, yes, do wake her, and if she's sleepy change her nappy, strip her off, skin to skin so she 'll be more alert!
if she slips off or you still have pain break latch and re-attach her.

keep going, she needs to practice/re-learn! and you could even bf every 2 hrs in the day as she also needs to stimulate breast big time to increase milk supply!
extra feeds for 3-4 days usually does the trick, then you can then relax a bit and get her back to a good routine.

also I'm sure you'd do it anyway, but check her weight gain once a week, she should start putting on min 20g/day.
that and wet nappies and yellow poo will reassure you that things are improving and also the feeding will be less painful.

well done you, brave mummy! very proud of you!thanks

McBaby Sun 18-Nov-12 09:01:25

She woke herself in the night so didn't feel too mean. Hopefully there was enough feeding but she was biting so much in the night hopefully it was a bit strange and she starts using it today.

I have a oversupply issue so need to keep it under control while feeding her more and with her hopefully improved suck stimulating me more!

amazingmumof6 Mon 19-Nov-12 13:33:07

how have you been since?

mawbroon Mon 19-Nov-12 14:38:40

Are you stretching the site? Dr Kotlow is a leading expert and he says that the site should be kept open like this

Breastfeeding alone is not enough, especially for a posterior tie.

If nobody has already mentioned it, I would recommend joining the tongue tie babies support group on facebook

McBaby Mon 19-Nov-12 19:00:54

I have been stretching her tongue up a few times a day and she seems to be doing a good job shoving her hand unde her tongue to bite on it all the time. ( I think she may be teething as well).

My surgeon said that no stretches were needed and breast feeding would be enough. She also cut back as far as she could to try and encourage it not to heal again!

I have had a few feeds which are much more comfortable and a few biting ones but I now just try to encourage her tongue forward as much as possible before feeding her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now