green poo in bf newborn

(7 Posts)
tiktok Sat 17-Nov-12 18:21:09

Green poo can mean many things, most of them entirely insignificant in a healthy thriving baby.

There are indeed some websites that say it means lack of hindmilk - if that's all they say, they are seriously underinformed.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 17-Nov-12 17:46:32

My DS had consistent green poo which was caused by an intolerance to cows milk proteins & soy. It disappeared once I cut these totally from my diet.

Jahan Sat 17-Nov-12 15:40:25

That's reassuring - thanks. My other dc had bright yellow poo so I was a bit concerned.

SamSmalaidh Sat 17-Nov-12 15:36:20

If your baby was reacting to lactose or had an infection you would know because they would be ill.

If your baby is latching on fine and you are feeding on demand and following her lead - feeding from one breast until they come off and then offering the other - and she is content and gaining weight, then a bit of green poo isn't a problem.

Jahan Sat 17-Nov-12 15:31:44

Thanks but when I googled it,all the websites were saying its a reaction to lactose and connected to too much foremilk. I looked at nhs and babycentre and a couple of others.
It said that its not good.
The thing is that her poor is not totally green, its usually half and half.

SamSmalaidh Sat 17-Nov-12 15:24:56

No, it's unlikely to be anything to do with hindmilk. Foremilk just means the watery milk from a full breast, hindmilk is fattier milk from an emptier breast - so if she is feeding frequently she will be getting lots of of fat. You don't need to try to keep her on one breast - when she comes off or falls asleep just offer the other side.

As long as she is gaining weight and is content, green poo doesn't really mean anything.

Jahan Sat 17-Nov-12 15:21:20

Im getting a bit concerned as my bf 4 week old seems to have green poor. Its not totally green and does have yellow pooh mixed with it.
I understand that this can be due to her not getting enough hind milk?
I try to keep her on the same breast til she's finished her feed but often she ll only feed for a short time then fall asleep and come back to it later. Does that mean she s getting fore milk again?
How worried should I be?
Its been like this since she was born and she seems ok. She's putting on weight ok and is getting more alert etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now