16 mo doesn't want his meals - just wants breast milk - what's going on?

(8 Posts)
stottiecake Fri 16-Nov-12 21:27:59

He started skipping breakfast a couple of weeks ago - I can't find anything he fancies. He breastfeeds pretty solidly from 3.30 a.m. until we get up (YAWN)

He has gone off most of my lunchtime offerings and only likes pasta with homemade leak and potato soup. He's gone off yoghurt and most fruit.

Teatime today he refused to get in his chair and stood next to me patting my boob.

We are awaiting his last 4 teeth but no sign as yet.

My feeling is it will resolve itself if I keep calm and don't stress about it. But it is a bit annoying as it means he will probably want to feed even more at night. As it is he is asking for it probably more than 10 times between 7.30p.m. - 6.30a.m. And I am pooped.

I don't feel I should refuse it as I think he probably needs it otherwise he wouldn't ask for it.

But perhaps someone knows better?

I bf ds1 until he self weaned at 2.3 yrs but I can't remember him going through a period like this.

If anyone has any idea why he is doing this it will make it more bearable... Any ideas?

stottiecake Fri 16-Nov-12 21:28:47

leek! blush

stottiecake Sat 17-Nov-12 09:08:11

hopeful bump for today!

MousyMouse Sat 17-Nov-12 09:17:08

teeth would be my first bet (those molars are big buggers) or is he coming down with something?
has his environment changed? new nursery/minder/sibling/pets? if so could it be comfort suckling?

MousyMouse Sat 17-Nov-12 09:18:34

do you have a dh/dp who could take over for a (full) night to break the cycle?

NiceOneCenturion Sat 17-Nov-12 09:49:11

I have a just turned 18 month old and he went through a phase similar to this a month or so ago where he was eating very little and wanting to bf all the time.

He went off foods he'd previously seemed to love. Then he had a stomach bug, and didn't eat anything for a day or two, but once he got over that he suddenly went back to normal, eating everything enthusiastically, second helpings etc.

Like your ds he's still brewing the last four molars so I suspect it was that to begin with, also he went up a clothes size in height so don't know if there's a growth spurt in there too!

Don't know if any of that jumble is helpful, suffice to say I panicked, carried on feeding as and when and it all worked out ok confused

NiceOneCenturion Sat 17-Nov-12 09:54:07

But also agree with mousymouse, get some help if possible if you're struggling.

My dh did some settling overnight and gave him a beaker of warm cow's milk a couple of times when I really felt depleted, don't know if that would work for you.

stottiecake Sat 17-Nov-12 21:40:31

Thanks so much for your messages smile

It's not been too bad today. Made cauliflower soup and put it on pasta which he liked and then gave him fruit when he was in his pram and he was bored so he ate it!! Also popped some cut up fruit on the coffee table and he had some of that too.

Think it could be teeth - his cheeks were bright red and he was a little dribbly. I can't feel anything on his gums tho'.

Dh works most nights so it's a bit tricky to get a bit of a break. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now