Bedtime and breastfeeding.. first time Mum query!!

(4 Posts)
crystaltea36 Fri 16-Nov-12 17:34:11

Hi everyone, I've been breastfeeding my 3 week old baby in bed at night laying down but in the last couple of days have got into the habit of leaving her in the bed when she falls asleep as when I try to put her back in the crib she wakes up and cries and then I have to start feeding her again and we seem awake all night but in the bed she seems to settle for a good 3 hours between feeds. I'm aware it's dangerous to let her fall asleep in the bed with me so I want to snap out of the habit straight away, can anyone give me any advice how to get into a routine, why she maybe wakes up the minute I move her or what I'm doing wrong?!!
Thanks x

EauRouge Fri 16-Nov-12 17:40:09

Hi Crystal,

It is perfectly safe to share a bed with your baby if you follow a few basic safety guidelines. Lots of breastfeeding mothers do it and find it makes life easier! This is a really good source of information that you might find helpful.

You're not doing anything wrong at all, it is perfectly normal for tiny babies to need their parents. She's been inside you for 9 months and is totally helpless- of course she doesn't want to be on her own smile

MrsHoarder Fri 16-Nov-12 17:43:09

I'd she swaddled or in a sleeping bag? She will be noticing the cold sheet otherwise unless you warm it. And I kept the Moses basket so ds was still only inches away.

And if you are falling asleep in bed with her look up safe co-sleeping guidelines. Duvets are very risky things to have near babies, or sleeping on the sofa.

Enjoy your newborn snuggles too.

sparklekitty Fri 16-Nov-12 20:16:37

I co-sleep with my LO for very similar reasons. Once you've sorted the safety bits its great. We both snooze through feeds now (I woke up this morning and she was helping herself as I sleep with the flaps on my nightie undone!)

We tried moving her back to the moses basket but she's not having any of it, I figure she'll grow out of it at some point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now