I'm worried

(16 Posts)
gemma4d Fri 16-Nov-12 22:09:50

I've read in many different places that it's because breastmilk is so highly digestible - they can be using almost all the milk and there is not much left to poo out!

My 2 dds went to about 10 days if I remember correctly, and my dr said to think about bringing them in after 14 days.

BertieBotts Fri 16-Nov-12 22:08:12

Well, if you really want him to poo, make sure you put him in his most adorable hand-wash only outfit gifted lovingly by a well-meaning but childfree friend, or on a brand new, light coloured cosytoes in the buggy, or take him swimming. All situations guaranteed to induce the messiest, most eye-watering poo you ever saw! grin

Tooodlepip Fri 16-Nov-12 22:05:43

Ok thanks everyone it's such a worry when they are so small every little thing and I'm worried and they change all the time smile he is in bed now smile I'm going to try and put it out of my mind for a bit

SamSmalaidh Fri 16-Nov-12 21:41:25

Definitely no sugar water for such a little baby! So long as he is happy and his tummy isn't hard then a week or more between poos is perfectly normal - he isn't constipated.

BertieBotts Fri 16-Nov-12 21:41:09

PS sugar water can do harm because it can fill up their tummies with something which is less nutritious than breastmilk - if you've already given it then don't worry as a one off, but I wouldn't try it. You can also upset their tummies by giving them anything other than breastmilk/formula too early.

BertieBotts Fri 16-Nov-12 21:39:01

It's normal for breastfed babies not to poo for several days (after the first few weeks of constant poo!) - I know it comes as a bit of a shock! A usual pattern for a breastfed baby is to poo once every 4-10 days. Don't worry, your baby is perfectly normal! smile

I once heard that it's because breastmilk is so perfect for them that they digest almost all of it and there is very little waste actually produced. I have no idea if it's true but it's a nice thought smile

In babies they are only considered constipated if their stools are hard and they have difficulty passing them. I expect though, that when the poo explosion turns up it will be soft and yellow like usual. As long as his poos are soft you don't need to give him anything for constipation (and you'll hear a lot of folk remedies but none are recommended by doctors, especially before 6 months)

Seriouslysleepdeprived Fri 16-Nov-12 21:34:01

I miss this stage where they hardly poo. DS would go 9-10 days before doing the hugest dump ever.

Once they start solids they go all the time again & it's back to poo explosions and scrubbing clothes constantly. Enjoy it while it lasts!!

JezzaJ9 Fri 16-Nov-12 20:47:03

My 15 week old DS was the same at 9 weeks, it will come you just need to be prepared with wipes and a change handy. Congratulations sounds perfectly normal my DS now goes every couple of days sometimes twice he is even getting a poo face like his big bro had...

Tooodlepip Fri 16-Nov-12 20:33:11

Really no sugar and water ok sad

rubyslippers Fri 16-Nov-12 19:17:25

No to brown water and sugar

Breastfed babies can go for a while without pooing

It depends what is usual for your baby

Try bicycling their legs, a warm bath, massaging tummy in a clockwise motion

Keep an eye tho and don't hesitate to get medical advice if he seems in pain

Tooodlepip Fri 16-Nov-12 19:15:00

Hi

Thank you so much for the advice I have made up some brown sugar and water on the advice of a friend what do u think ?? I suppose it don't do any harm will it grin he doesn't seem uncomfortable etc and is passing wind etc

Dottyspot Fri 16-Nov-12 18:12:00

Once a week is common for some bf babies - mine goes every 3 days like clockwork!

Spiritedwolf Fri 16-Nov-12 18:09:04

My little one went 16 days once. He was absolutely fine (and when it did come it was contained in the nappy - well until I tried to clean him up) and didn't have any 'remedies' to help him along.

The health visitor who I spoke to after 12 days recommended I take him to the GP to have him checked out (he was only 4/5 weeks old). The GP listened to tummy and felt it and reckoned it was working fine. The HV saw him the next day (routine visit) and could see that he wasn't bothered by it either (he was playing in his playgym).

I was told to watch out for him vomiting (not just posseting), refusing feeds or showing signs of pain/discomfort. As long as he was hydrated (eating often, plenty of wet nappies), passing wind and seeming well, they weren't too concerned. I felt a lot happier that the doctor had listened to his tummy and could hear it working normally though, and relaxed after that.

Wolfcub never went quite as long again, but did go 12 days then about a week for a while, then every 4-6 days, then 2-3 days and now I've just had a dirty nappy three days in a row at 15 weeks, and we once had two in a day but I stopped keeping track so much. Don't necessarily expect a return to his old normal straight away.

I don't think wolfcub was constipated as such, his was fairly normal (bit more orangey) when it arrived, and he was eating loads, I think he was just using all my milk up!

Keep in touch with your health visitor and see the doctor if you are at all worried about him. But in general it is very normal.

Havingkitties Fri 16-Nov-12 17:04:45

Poo always comes out eventually (they can go for up to 2 weeks without a poopie)...prepare for the poonami when it does come (a pack of wipes and change of clothes - for both of you).

You never think about poo so much as when you are a mum, and its all perfectly normal for a baby to change around their poo habits.
As long as he's comfy he'll be fine.

This does sound normal to me, but if you are worried call your health visitor. Congratulations on your baby grin

Tooodlepip Fri 16-Nov-12 16:30:49

Hello everyone

I'm sorry for just popping on to ask for advice, but if anyone has the time I'm a bit worried about my 9 week old

He hasn't pooed in 4 days, today is day 4, he is ebf, I mentioned it to my gp yesterday morning she just said we'll leave it for now maybe a bit of a sluggish bowel she didn't say much else, he used to when he was smaller go after every feed then it reduced to 2 times a day then 1 time a day and now this.

He is doing well developmentally, smiling, cooing etc following me around with his eyes etc, so not in pain from constipation and his tummy isn't hard or swollen, he does seem to like his sleep and get seriously cranky and grumpy once over tired

does this all sound ok to everyone, or should I be worried , I don't think he is ill but I am afraid that I am missing something but he seems fine just loves sleep

thank you for taking the time I appreciate it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now