handing back the hospital-grade breast pump...what next?!

(19 Posts)
RedWineSmile Fri 16-Nov-12 14:34:07

My son was born 6 weeks early and I expressed milk for his tube feeds until he was able to suck. Feeding is going well, and I do have a good stash of expressed milk. He takes some expressed milk out a bottle now and again, no problems.

However, I am handing back the hospital grade breast pump I loaned. My sister gave me her Medela Mini pump and when I had a go of it, it was totally ineffective. I don't know whether this is just because it is old and the motor is knackered, or whether my expections were a bit high.

Anyway, I would welcome suggestions on the best pump to progress to after having been used to a hospital grade one. Am I going to be a bit disappointed with all of them? Anyone moved from hospital-grade to regular pump and found it to be ok? Thanks for the advice!

libelulle Fri 16-Nov-12 14:36:55

I avoided the issue by hiring a hospital-grade medela once I had to hand back the actual hospital one. It was about 50 pounds a month - worth considering?

I had the same experience after expressing when in hospital. The hospital grade ones also make a domestic version which I bought and found just as good for performance. I'll look up the details and post them in a minute.

Pommes Fri 16-Nov-12 14:38:55

Hi Red Wine, congratulations on the birth of your son.

I use this pump and find it pretty good. In the early months I was able to express about 8oz in one sitting, now I manage that in two or three attempts.

Mothercare offered it a half price, so I didn't buy it at RRP.

No experience with hospital grade pumps but hopefully this post will give you a bump for the attention of someone who does.

Here it is: Ameda lactaline.

Quite expensive, but I bought mine second hand on eBay. You can buy the machine, then buy brand new parts (from a website like the one I linked to) so everything that comes in contact with you is sterile and only used by you.

Recommend it really highly.

CMOTDibbler Fri 16-Nov-12 14:47:33

The Lactaline gets my vote - used mine 5 days a week for a year expressing at work

libelulle Fri 16-Nov-12 14:50:10

www.expressyourselfmums.co.uk/Expressing-breastmilk/medela-symphony-hospital-grade-breastpump.htm - link for the medela symphony hire.

Sometimes the local NCT also have some for loan/hire - might be worth investigating that too.

RedWineSmile Fri 16-Nov-12 15:00:05

Thanks very much, that's really helpful.

I had actually hired the one I've got, but they want them back after 8 weeks.

FannyPriceless the lactaline looks good, and new on Amazon it's the same price as the Medela swing (which had been the other one I had considered). There is one at ebay for £35, I'll check out the price of the other parts.

Great stuff - I can hand back the one on loan with a plan for its replacement!

RedWineSmile Fri 16-Nov-12 15:01:43

Thanks for the links libelulle, I'll check that out.

Startail Fri 16-Nov-12 15:37:08

NCT certainly used to hire them, they will know who does.

Enter post code and it gives local emails

Also bumps and babies kept me sane in a town where I knew no one, when DD1 was a baby.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 16-Nov-12 15:45:04

I bought the Medela freestyle, a smaller version but similar to the symphony I used in hospital, also a double pump. Cost quite a bit but same as hiring a symphony for 6-7 months and we should be able to re-sell.

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 16-Nov-12 18:13:18

Medela mini is horrible. I am kn to my second avent isis iq. The first died this week after using daily for 5 months then 3x a day at work for another 6 months with dd1 and then twice weekly use for 4 months with dd2. Hoping this new one lasts as long!think it may have been me dropping it that knackered the motor rather than it spontaneously dying though

lottiegarbanzo Fri 16-Nov-12 18:47:54

My freestyle was still going strong after 7 months of 5-7 times a day. No idea how it compares to anything other than symphony but it worked and was efficient - 10-15 mins each time to extract everything - so I liked it very much.

Rowanhart Sat 17-Nov-12 11:17:34

I'm using the lansinoh affinity. Getting about 150ml out in 20 minutes.

JugglingWithPossibilities Sat 17-Nov-12 11:24:02

Congratulations RedWine thanks
What a nice helpful thread - hope all goes well smile

TheNameisNOTZiggy Sat 17-Nov-12 22:19:02

Hope you got all the info you needed. I rented a Medela symphony from a local pharmacy who act for Medela. I have now graduated to a Medela pump in style which I got from eBay. For double pumping it is brilliant. I already had a Medela swing (from new) & highly rate it too.
My LC recommended the lactaline mentioned furthe up the thread.
Good luck & keep us posted if you can.

dikkertjedap Sat 17-Nov-12 23:03:29

You can rent hospital grade pumps either from the hospital or some pharmacies. In London John Bell & Croydon pharmacy in Wigmore street rents them out.

celebmum Sun 18-Nov-12 15:58:23

Just wanted to add that I have the medela mini and I've found it very effective, I'm on baby number 2now and although I don't use it often (not pumping at work etc) it works just fine! Ive just pumped 8oz in 5-10mins so that I can go out tonight and leave DH with the baby grin

trixymalixy Sun 18-Nov-12 16:03:45

I thought the medela mini was shite too. I had an avent Isis iq, which I thought was great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now