very hungry 3 bf 3 week old! Help!

(5 Posts)
lainey1234 Thu 15-Nov-12 22:26:55

Help! My baby is 3 weeks old and is bf. the first 2 weeks were great and he fed well every 3-4 hours. Now he is constantly rooting and demanding to be on the breast all the time. He doesn't take much and just falls asleep on the boob. The wakes up with avengance 20-30 mins later and it starts all over again. Any advice?!?

fraktion Thu 15-Nov-12 22:30:00

He's probably just building up your supply. It should even out by about 6 weeks.

It's worth getting done RL help to check his latch though because inefficient feeding may result in needing to feed more frequently. Is he actually getting milk? Can you hear the suck-suck-swallow rhythm?

Will he settle just for physical contact from you/your partner? Perhaps in a sling?

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 15-Nov-12 22:44:24

My DD had a growth spurt at 3 weeks, she was feeding almost all day for about 3 days before settling down again, it's to increase your milk supply. It is exhausting though! Eat and drink plenty and try to feed lying down so you can rest.

cheesesavory Thu 15-Nov-12 22:50:42

There is a 3 week growth spurt, so he is just putting in his orders grin let him feed as much as he wants and your supply will catch up to demand soon.

lainey1234 Thu 15-Nov-12 23:06:47

Hi, yeah can definatly hear the sucks and swallowing and he often stil has a mouthful of milk when he lets go of me! He takes/gets so much dring some feeds that he chokes and needs help to clear it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now