Vitamin D drops - how?

(7 Posts)
Lillyaan Fri 16-Nov-12 19:49:00

All new babys and Mothers in some City's across the UK inc Manchester are given Vit D from 4/52 to 12/12. This is due to the lack of sunlight in the Uk and the emerging Rickets problem. There are no seperate 'droppers' with the bottle. Tip it up & Tap or call to Community counter at nearest Health Centre and ask for a replacement if its faulty.
There is no Vit D in Breast milk.

Giantess Fri 16-Nov-12 04:56:10

Yes the note on the package said from one month. I only started Vitamin D supplements at 35 weeks so perhaps that was the reason.
Thanks for the research everyone!
Oh well, I won't sweat it until weaning, or I'll have a go on a spoon now & something might get in.

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 15-Nov-12 21:52:55

aah, just read this though:

If you are breastfeeding your baby and you didn’t take vitamin D supplements throughout pregnancy, your health visitor may advise you to give your baby vitamin drops containing vitamin D from the age of one month.

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 15-Nov-12 21:51:50
mamaonion Thu 15-Nov-12 21:46:55

Yes I thought babies should have stores until 6 months? I drip onto weaning spoon and my 11 mo just has of spoon-took a bit of perseverance but seems to love them now!

maldivemoment Thu 15-Nov-12 21:30:06

Are they not meant for when he's 6 months? I vaguely remember HV telling me something about Vitamin supplements for exclusively breast fed babies once they reach 6 months. Something to do with iron?

Giantess Thu 15-Nov-12 19:26:24

DS2 aged 6 weeks is ebf. HV gave me vitamin D drops and I just opened the package, I had to shake the bottle to get a drop out (no pipette/dropper). Has anyone had success aiming these into an infant's mouth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now