Vitamin D drops - how?

(7 Posts)
Giantess Thu 15-Nov-12 19:26:24

DS2 aged 6 weeks is ebf. HV gave me vitamin D drops and I just opened the package, I had to shake the bottle to get a drop out (no pipette/dropper). Has anyone had success aiming these into an infant's mouth?

maldivemoment Thu 15-Nov-12 21:30:06

Are they not meant for when he's 6 months? I vaguely remember HV telling me something about Vitamin supplements for exclusively breast fed babies once they reach 6 months. Something to do with iron?

mamaonion Thu 15-Nov-12 21:46:55

Yes I thought babies should have stores until 6 months? I drip onto weaning spoon and my 11 mo just has of spoon-took a bit of perseverance but seems to love them now!

vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 15-Nov-12 21:51:50
vodkaanddietirnbru Thu 15-Nov-12 21:52:55

aah, just read this though:

If you are breastfeeding your baby and you didn’t take vitamin D supplements throughout pregnancy, your health visitor may advise you to give your baby vitamin drops containing vitamin D from the age of one month.

Giantess Fri 16-Nov-12 04:56:10

Yes the note on the package said from one month. I only started Vitamin D supplements at 35 weeks so perhaps that was the reason.
Thanks for the research everyone!
Oh well, I won't sweat it until weaning, or I'll have a go on a spoon now & something might get in.

Lillyaan Fri 16-Nov-12 19:49:00

All new babys and Mothers in some City's across the UK inc Manchester are given Vit D from 4/52 to 12/12. This is due to the lack of sunlight in the Uk and the emerging Rickets problem. There are no seperate 'droppers' with the bottle. Tip it up & Tap or call to Community counter at nearest Health Centre and ask for a replacement if its faulty.
There is no Vit D in Breast milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now