Recurrent mastitis :(

(7 Posts)
Fluttershy Wed 14-Nov-12 13:23:22

Help! I have mastitis again sad I know about self help once it is here but does anyone have any tips on preventing it? It seemed to come from nowhere after frequent feeds, no blocked ducts.

Tiredprobably Wed 14-Nov-12 13:50:35

I used to get this and have been free of it for about six months since I discovered I have a milk blister, it's so tiny but last time I had mastitis properly I was having a hot shower and noticed a tiny pink mark when I scratched it so much milk came out when I hadn't known I was so blocked up. I just wish I'd seen it sooner as it could have aced me so much grief! Have you got anything like that? Is it always on the same side?

Fluttershy Wed 14-Nov-12 16:40:48

Thanks! Yes, always the same side. I have noticed blister before but it's not visible at the moment, it was white though. I will have a look in case there is a pink mark though. How do you get rid?

RedKites Wed 14-Nov-12 17:15:56

Have you seen the Kellymom page on recurrent mastitis ? It has lots of other suggestions you could consider. Much sympathy - I got recurrent blocked ducts, and that was bad enough.

Tiredprobably Wed 14-Nov-12 21:40:08

I haven't been able to get rid of it more just keep an eye on it, when it gets blocked or more obvious I usually feel a bit uncomfortable/ itchy then a hot shower and with very clean hands either scratch it or use a sterilised pin, sounds grim but doesn't hurt at all. If that's what it is for you it's do good to be able to deal with it before mastitis! I always feed straight after and then put some Vaseline or something on.

Tiredprobably Wed 14-Nov-12 21:42:11

Mines white too, was just pink when I first noticed it. When I scratch it away now it's kind of like dead skin.

Fluttershy Thu 15-Nov-12 14:48:39

Thanks both! Loads of helpful stuff smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now