Bottle warmer for impatient baby??!! HELP!!!!! [shock]

(22 Posts)
helsybells Wed 14-Nov-12 08:18:07

Just trying to find out what the fastest bottle warmer out there is. Baby gets to fever pitch if she isn't fed the minute she wakes in the night. And being a colicky/windy baby this doesn't help her as she gulps more air!! She is on Dr Brown's bottles so if anyone knows how long the Dr Brown bottle warmer takes that would be fab (it doesn't seem to say anywhere on line) or one that is compatible with Dr B's. Equally I'd be happy to buy the fastest possible and warm in a different bottle then tip into Dr B's.

Currently warming about 4oz of formula from fridge temp is taking 7-8 minutes with boiling water and jug method and is not really getting warm enough anyway! By then the water has cooled so that's as hot as they get without replacing water. Faff faff faff faff faff!! Also microwaving is supposed to be a no-no these days in case of "hot spots" in the formula so that's out.

I have read some older posts saying don't bother with warmers they are no faster than water but wondering if things have moved on since then! Also I have tried room temp formula from cartons but it doesn't suit her that well and being colicky I need to keep her as comfy as possible esp at night for our sanity!

Also please nobody mention breastfeeding = if you search my other threads you will see I have been on verge of PND due to not being able to BF and I don't need to feel worse!!! wink smile

titan Wed 14-Nov-12 08:24:27

I have an Avent borrtle warmer which takes ages. Dr browns won't fit anyway. I usually microwave formula. Takes about 20 -40 seconds depending on volume and whether it's been in the fridge. Just shake well to ensure any hotspots get dissipated and test temperature before giving.

I microwave - I think the advice not to is ridiculous, I just make sure to give it a really really good swirl around to mix it up before giving it.

Cross post!

PeazlyPops Wed 14-Nov-12 08:32:26

I use a jug and boiling water, takes around 4 min for 9oz. Just give the bottle a shake every min or so.

PeazlyPops Wed 14-Nov-12 08:33:32

I thought the advice not to microwave was that it can kill off the nutrients? I can't see hot spots being a problem, unless you don't shake it!

Chopsypie Wed 14-Nov-12 08:36:39

I've always microwaved then given it a really good shake

Startail Wed 14-Nov-12 08:37:34

Microwave, practice with water and a thermometer.

You don't need to get the milk very hot, and hot spots are going to be so small I can't see your going to destroy anything measurable.

LKbabyH Wed 14-Nov-12 08:58:34

We use dr browns too and find the following useful for our children:

-Have a bottle of cooled boiled water in fridge at all times. If you pre measure the cool water in a few baby bottles then even better.
-Fill a thermos flask with boiling water right before bed
-pre measured milk powder dispenser

When my baby needs a feed and needs say 7floz =
Use empty bottle, 4 floz flask hot water, powder, stir and then 3 floz cold from fridge.
Quick drip test for temp and voila, fresh drinkable milk in about 2-3 minsgrin

If it's hot water from kettle, I adjust by 0.5 oz so 3.5+3.5.
Or if room temp cooled boiled water bit less hot and bit more cold.
I checked the temp of water in our flask with a thermometer and it's over 70deg till at least 7/8am morning depending on when it was filled (always fill to the top of any flask or it loses heat too quickly)
It's this one http://www.thermosonline.co.uk/products/Thermos-TherMax-Light-and-Compact-Flask-1-0L/The-TherMax-Range/products/3810
Hope this helps and makes any sense in writing (5am start and am on phone so sorry if it doesn't)
smile

tiktok Wed 14-Nov-12 09:04:55

I thought the 'hot spots' issue was to avoid unexpected scalding of the baby? I don't know enough about microwaving to know how likely/unlikely this is.

helsy, would your baby take milk straight from the fridge? I know a number who were quite happy to do so - it's worth a try smile

Will she try straight from the fridge?

Or, like LK says, put half in the fridge, and top up with boiling water?

fishybits Wed 14-Nov-12 09:13:40

Tiktok is right, it's the hot spots you have to worry about but a good swirl or shake if older solves that problem.

DD now 10 months has had ready made cartons since I stopped breast feeding and with our ancient microwave it's 30 seconds if warming from room temp or 50 from fridge.

LKbabyH Wed 14-Nov-12 09:40:37

My eyes hurt just looking at the length of my post earliergrin
Main thing is, hot water first and powder, then cold water or the harmful bugs in the non sterile powder won't get killed off.

forevergreek Wed 14-Nov-12 09:42:52

Pre made carton milk at night? And give at room temp? Takes seconds

helsybells Wed 14-Nov-12 10:25:50

Thanks so much for all replies!! I previously had her on ready made at room temp but her colicky and windy symptoms were way worse than when I moved her on to warm powder so don't want to go back there really.

I had wondered about adding cooled boiled so that might be worth try - brill!! Just wasn't sure about how that translated to the guidelines for safe preparation.

So a resounding "no" to bottle warmers then!!!?? winkwink grin

I always microwaved - it doesn't take long to make it warm enough, so I don't believe you can be overcooking more than a teeny tiny percentage.

However, SIL had a steam bottle warmer similar to this and it seemed pretty quick, even for my '0-yelling in 5 secs' DS.

batteryhen Thu 15-Nov-12 21:33:03

I use 'first years' bottle warmer. Takes about 3 minutes. It fits Avent bottles in perfectly but not sure about Dr browns. My bottle warmer is the best thing I have bought - gadget wise. Love it. And I use it during the day too. I got it from amazon x

Fairylea Thu 15-Nov-12 21:37:16

I make my bottles in advance and store in the fridge as it sounds like you do. Not ideal but a compromise. Have done with both dc and both have been absolutely fine.

I then warm in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds depending on how large the feed is (currently ds is taking 8oz at 5 months and these take 55 seconds in a 800 watt microwave). I know they say you mustnt do this but seriously if you swirl really really well (shaking increases bubbles which doesn't help colic) then it's extremely unlikely there would be any hot spots especially with a bottle only being warmed to Luke warm anyway.

Honestly why make life hard for yourself with bottle warmers !

batteryhen Thu 15-Nov-12 22:08:36

But with my bottle warmer I don't even have to get out of bed. Hardly making it difficult for myself smile and if you want the milk hotter you just add more water. Simples. No running up and downstairs for me in the night!

Fairylea Thu 15-Nov-12 22:09:52

We got a cheap microwave from eBay for our bedroom smile

batteryhen Thu 15-Nov-12 22:10:11

And also it has a cooling compartment so you can keep the bottles cool until you want to heat them smile

Fairylea Thu 15-Nov-12 22:10:28

Oh and a mini cooler !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now