Painful letdown..?

(5 Posts)
Spoonpaws Tue 13-Nov-12 17:44:42

You may find that feeding a bit more frequently helps, as it lessens the amount of milk that builds up in the breast.

Pressing down just above the nipple with the heel of your hand can also help slow the flow.

You should find that as time goes on and your supply evens out the feeling lessens considerably. Good luck!

Numusho Tue 13-Nov-12 13:15:27

I have it too....n I wake up in the night from the pain if DD is not waking up for her 4pm feed. DD is 3weeks old n the HV doesn't believe me when I tell her that no tingling but ooh it hurts...like a muscle cramp?

It will ease! Mine was like this but went away after the first 6 - 8 weeks. If you are not collecting the milk from the other side as you feed (clever idea btw grin), you can press the nipple with the palm of your hand for 20 or so, and it should ease off.

But it's just a fact of life at the moment I'm afraid sad

cakeandcava Tue 13-Nov-12 12:08:15

I have this too -no advice unfortunately, but marking my place to hear what others have to say. DS is 3 weeks old, and whenever he has the first latch I have about 30 seconds of really painful let-down -it feels a bit like an electric shock? I also seem to produce a lot of milk -I have sprayed his face several times, and if he pulls off early it spurts out in jets. I wouldn't be surprised if the initial pain is related to that?

celebmum Tue 13-Nov-12 10:08:59

DD is a month old, I've been lucky to ba able to successfully breast feed all this time (only managed first 6wks with DS due to a bad infection, nipples peeling off and too much blood in milk, yuk!)
Anyhow, i seem to suffer from an extremely painful letdown reflex.. Ouch! Literally takes my breath away and lasts about a min. I get this every few hours and during every feed.. I also seem to produce alot of milk? during one 'letdown' i collected 2oz of milk in a container! Does anyone else get this? Is there anything I can do to stop/ease it? It really is painful, I'm not just being a wimp honest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now