DS won't drink defrosted expressed breast milk. Any ideas?

(7 Posts)
thing1andthing2 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:31:54

Hi there.
My DS will take a smallish bottle of formula now and then, and was happily taking fresh expressed milk up until three weeks ago (when DH went to France for over a week and I went to stay with my parents and stopped expressing).
I have a stash of frozen breast milk and decided to use it up in preference to formula for the moment.
But DS absolutely refused it and screamed. It dates from 10/10 so only a month old.
My DD also used to refuse defrosted breast milk.
Does freezing it change the taste?
Thanks for any advice!

baileyslover Tue 13-Nov-12 09:41:03

My DS was exactly the same. I thought it smelt a bit different so assumed it had gone off. Not sure how as put in freezer soon after being expressed, but had to bin it sad

RonettePulaski Tue 13-Nov-12 09:56:57

I had this and when I tasted it or was sort of sopey tasting. A bit of googling said it was probably due to excess lipase (iirc). There's ways around it, you have to scald the milk prior to freezing

Look on kellymom I think that's where I found the info

thing1andthing2 Tue 13-Nov-12 19:09:52

Oh no, I guess I'll have to chuck it all, or maybe sneak it into foods when we start weaning. How long will it keep in a domestic freezer?

swampster Tue 13-Nov-12 19:18:21

I came on to say about the lipase thing but Ronette got there first.

Chuck what you've got frozen - taste it if you don't believe - soaparama! And scald and future milk you freeze/chill beforehand.

Oh poo. I've got gallons frozen in the freezer. Does scalding it affect any of the goodies in it?

swampster Tue 13-Nov-12 20:12:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now