Total refusal [sad]

(12 Posts)
MarathonMama Mon 12-Nov-12 21:03:44

Further to my other post, my 7 mo DD is now totally refusing to take any milk from breast, bottle or cup. I'm getting very engorged and am a bit upset - can anyone suggest anything?

liveinazoo Mon 12-Nov-12 21:28:03

is she eating a lot of solids?

some times if they are eating too much they dont have room for milk

OovoofWelcome Mon 12-Nov-12 21:28:54

I haven't seen your other post, but have you tried lots of skin on skin time with you and your baby? Just relaxing and trying to keep things low-key for both of you? In the bath or snuggled up in bed....maybe with low lighting. A really calm time for you to be close and to see if she latches on in her own time?

MarathonMama Mon 12-Nov-12 21:51:32

Yes live she's eating loads of solids. I've tried cutting down but then she wakes at night.

liveinazoo Tue 13-Nov-12 05:55:29

have you tried offering breast BEFORE solids when super hungry?

that way gets some milk in then can fill up AFTER on the solids

i had to do this with my 2nd greedy little swine and she then ate enough afterwards to sleep throughgrin

MarathonMama Tue 13-Nov-12 08:00:24

Thanks live I've tried that too, she'll take a bit but not much.

She's woken up full of cold so I'm hoping it's something to do with that. Still won't feed. I really hope it's not permanent as don't want to stop breastfeeding yet, she's my last baby.

liveinazoo Tue 13-Nov-12 17:30:23

it may well be-its harder to suckle than just swallow mush when noses are blocked and i find liquids are harder to swallow than solids when i have a bad throatconfused

have you tried those drops for blocked noses?

that said my 3rd all but stopped by 10months<token suck at bedtime>
each of my 4 chose when to stop<18mnths,14months,barely 12months,13months> so they no when theyve had enough of me.i can understand the last baby suckling though-my youngest is now 5 and i still miss it<and for some reason one of my breasts still hasnt completely accepted it either and a drop comes out now and then!>

i hope you get some extra snuggles and suckles for a bit longer and hoard those lovely feelings and memories of it all to reminisce over fondly!

BigWhoop Tue 13-Nov-12 17:33:02

Not sure if you've tried this but my plan if action would be calpol then after 20 minutes snuffle babe, teething liquid and try again!

KatAndKit Tue 13-Nov-12 17:34:25

It is very hard to suckle with a snotty cold. Use the saline spray and the snot sucker and offer the boob ten minutes later and see if that helps.

Spoonpaws Tue 13-Nov-12 17:51:42

I've just written about the very same thing... http://mummyisagadgetgeek.co.uk/?p=1647 except Bubby D is a bit older than your little one.

It seems quite likely that her cold might have something to do with it - have you thought about trying different feeding positions (more upright ones perhaps) so that she can breathe more easily?

I'd also agree with live - feeding before giving food might be the best option - at 7 months babies only need about 200 calories on top of breastmilk and that equates to two bananas! So not much when you think about it really smile

Good luck and I hope your little one is feeling better soon x

Spoonpaws Tue 13-Nov-12 17:53:09

Oh, and the 4little1 baby nose clear is something that we found absolutely invaluble for clearing Bubby D's nose so she could feed more effectively - might be worth a try?

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 14-Nov-12 07:07:06

The only time my dd refused breast and bottle was when she had an ear infection after a cold. Maybe go and get her ears checked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now