using colief

(13 Posts)
crazypaving Mon 08-Oct-12 19:03:41

typing 1 handed whilst bf so apologies for typos

ds2 is 4 days old and already struggling with wind. i had massive issues with oversupply with ds1, foremilk imbalance and horrific colic as a result.

want to try colief as it is an enzyme that helps with foremilk imbalance but can't be arsed with faff of administering properly; i.e. expressing a bit, adding colief, giving to baby then bfing. has anyone got experience of just sticking colief straight in baby's mouth then bfing? please tell me that works.....

tiktok Mon 08-Oct-12 19:17:27

4 days old is unusually early to be so sure this is wind, crazy, or over supply.

With a baby as young as this, unsettled behaviour could be a zillion things. What do midwives say?

crazypaving Mon 08-Oct-12 19:22:35

thanks for replying tiktok. i spose i'm just trying to pre-empt the awful problems we had last time and seeing such similarities. i agree it's early, which is why i'm worried.

ds has a v minimal posterior tongue tie which we're coping with fine but when he feeds from the left he clicks a lot and is quite windy after. i'm persevering through it and trying to work on him sticking his tongue out cos i'd rather not have it snipped. DS1 had 100% tt which was snipped and things were really tough for ages after that, so want to avoid same issue.

Impatientwino Tue 09-Oct-12 02:45:11

Colief needs to be added to your expressed milk and I don't think it's a good idea to put it directly in the babies mouth - if that would work and was safe then that would be the way the manufacturers instruct you to use it and not the shortcut if that makes sense?

I'd speak to your midwife before giving anything to a baby that young. They come round on day 5 don't they?

Impatientwino Tue 09-Oct-12 02:46:31

Pressed send too soon!

I hope all works out ok, early days are so rough without additional worries.

mawbroon Tue 09-Oct-12 10:38:45

Posterior ties are very rarely minimal. What they probably mean is that there is not much to see. But it's not what the tie looks like that's important, but how the tongue functions.

The problems you are having with wind are likely to be related to the tie (also possibly a lip tie)

have a read here

My DS1 is suffering some of the many consequences of untreated tongue tie. Please don't ignore it in your ds. There is so, so much more to tongue tie than just breastfeeding

There is a fantastic tongue tie support group on facebook, there are real experts on there.

crazypaving Tue 09-Oct-12 20:15:25

Yikes, thanks mawbroon.

He does click when bfing but things seem to be getting better rather than worse there with his latch. Will keep an eye on it and think about our options, thanks.

Cee3008 Wed 10-Oct-12 07:47:04

Not sure if this helps but I too am struggling with colief usage and BFing. I just tried a spoon of ready made formula with the drops in, gave that then started the BF. no idea if its ok but I'm struggling to express and my darling little boy needs this colief so badly

crazypaving Wed 10-Oct-12 12:47:27

Is the colief helping cee? We were up much of last night with a miserable ds2 writhing and straining. Ds1 didn't start doing this til he was 3wks old so i'm a bit worried.

Cee3008 Wed 10-Oct-12 21:51:27

Hi CrazyP, I'm not sure it made much difference. He had it at 5 feeds from last night to this morning and still strained, grunted and screamed when passing gas (or trying too) the didn't get it the rest of the day as we were out and about and it's such a pain to administer. We are trying cranial osteopathy, he had a session today and released a TON of gas right after so hoping for a better night. It's awful seeing them in such pain and distress :-(

Impatientwino Thu 11-Oct-12 00:42:00

Doing a colic massage three times a day will help to get the gas moving but not sure what age it is recommended from? Maybe check with your midwife?

If you google it lots of simple videos are on YouTube - it really helps my DS. The paediatrician told me to bring his knees up to his chest after a feed a few times to help him and to wind him very thoroughly

Cee3008 Thu 11-Oct-12 04:05:38

Thank you! I'll google colic massage! We do wind him and bring his knees up but will happily try anything else!

babyblabber Thu 11-Oct-12 07:53:16

You can massage from newborn. Google sun and moon massage, waterfall massage and I love you massage. You can do it as many times a day as you need so maybe every nappy change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now