5 month old latching probs

(8 Posts)
Cydonia Thu 11-Oct-12 22:09:36

Wouldn't you think it would get easier as they got bigger?! I've been trying feeding lying down for the first time, easier on my back but just makes me fall asleep! I've borrowed a book and gone back to basics but DS seems set in his ways now, he's determined to dive in nose first and squash into me. Still, he's gaining weight so it must be working for him!

Copps Thu 11-Oct-12 08:07:55

hv came over yesterday and changed the positioning so he was sitting up on my lap more as he was still lying down like a baby and being very awkward and heavy to keep there while feeding! seems to be much better now - better on my back at least!

Copps Mon 08-Oct-12 19:11:09

thank you for that smile ive given the hv a ring and shes coming over to check it out for me smile i was thinking the positioning might be an issue now he is bigger!

Cydonia Mon 08-Oct-12 17:34:00

Do you have a local BF support group, or somewhere a trained BF counsellor can watch you feed? My DS is 19 weeks and I've recently been wondering if he has a tongue tie ( long story! ). His latch has been slipping a bit and he seemed more fussy and less satisfied when feeding. After posting on here about TT I was recommended to get someone to check his latch first.

I went to our local BF support group, the lady who runs it watched me feed and said we had a couple of positioning issues. It sounds silly, but was mainly down to the fact DS is now longer, so you need to adjust how you hold them slightly. I wasn't having any pain though so may be different for you. I felt a bit stupid going back to basics this far down the line but she said its quite common at this stage. Worth getting checked if you can, it could be something that's obvious to an observer but not necessarily to you.

DS also has two teeth, which can affect things. He dribbled and chewed for weeks before there was any sign of teeth so it could be early signs of teething.

Copps Mon 08-Oct-12 12:48:01

no sign of actual teeth yet, just chomping and drooling..

Copps Mon 08-Oct-12 12:47:31

he had tongue tie which was snipped at 1 wk old.. could it be back??

LAF77 Mon 08-Oct-12 12:47:13

Is he teething? Teeth cause their latch to change.

Copps Mon 08-Oct-12 12:42:08

my 5 month old has been ebf since birth but is suddenly latching on really badly and causing me pain. any ideas why?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now