Expressed breast milk left out for over 5 hours. Ok to use?

(9 Posts)
teachertrainer80 Sat 06-Oct-12 15:41:54

DP deals with my expressed breast milk as it takes me about 40 minutes to express a single feed (manual pump). He left the bottle out accidentally, near the window and I just got in and put in in the fridge. I expressed the milk at 10 so 5 and a half hours ago.

Is it ok to use? Am pretty annoyed as it takes me ages to express and I'm finding feeding and expressing quite painful...

McPhee Sat 06-Oct-12 15:44:52

Hmm I'm not sure, but something is telling me I wouldn't confused

DoubleYew Sat 06-Oct-12 15:51:12

From Kellymom

Room temperature

61-79°F / 16-26°C

4-8 hours
(ideal: 3-4 hours)

SamSmalaidh Sat 06-Oct-12 15:51:21

EBM can be stored at room temperature for about 12 hours, so it will be fine. When are you planning to use it? Usually it would last about a week in the fridge but you might want to use it sooner than that if it has been a room temp for a while first.

MikeOxard Sat 06-Oct-12 15:52:48

If it's pretty cold in your house then it will probaby have been ok. If it's hot or been in direct sunlight then probably not. Xx

teachertrainer80 Sat 06-Oct-12 15:57:14

thanks all. it was by the window but dp assures me that the window gets no direct sunlight. i am always one to err on the side of caution but it just took me so long to express and was the feed dp was to give in the night so i can get a few hours much needed sleep....gonna ring the midwife for advice i think.

DoubleYew Sat 06-Oct-12 16:02:08

I'd ring one of the helplines unless your midwife actually knows about breastfeeding. Breastmilk is not like formula, it is a sterile product and apparently stinks when its off.

SamSmalaidh Sat 06-Oct-12 16:05:33

You would be able to tell if milk is off - by the taste/smell. If you're using it tonight then I really wouldn't worry.

teachertrainer80 Sat 06-Oct-12 17:04:01

The midwife said it is fine if anyone gets in a similar pickle! Had a sniff and it smells fine too. Phew!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now