alcohol and breastfeeding

(11 Posts)
MistressIggi Tue 09-Oct-12 17:02:39

Nice to hear that it all worked out smile

Rachog Mon 08-Oct-12 14:25:03

Thanks for the rplies everyone, I had a great time, took it easy and fed as normal from the morning. ds drank his bottle of expressed milk and all was fine.. worrying for nothing eh!

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:07:40

My best friends husbands a doctor, both her and I breastfed our babies after a few drinks on his say so- apparently you would have to drink a hell of a lot for it to pass over and still be in the milk the next morning. Both our babies seem fine! I have only done it once abs she was 5 months.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sat 06-Oct-12 20:02:06

[Re-reads OP]

Oops - you meant supply. Ignore me; I'll get me coat.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sat 06-Oct-12 20:00:29

Could be wrong... but I heard that pump and dump is pointless when drinking. Basically if it's in your system, it's in your milk. There won't be a significant amount hanging round after you've sobered up.

And, have fun! wine

MistressIggi Sat 06-Oct-12 19:55:57

At 12 weeks I would think missing one night feed wouldn't affect your supply, so the only reason to pump and dump would be if you were engorged and needed some relief at 4am. Would you feel fit to drive by morning, if so milk would be fine (not sure quite how many youre planning!)

joyjac Sat 06-Oct-12 14:33:30

Have a look here here The BfN is a fab resource and there is a link on that page to their updated alcohol and breastfeeding information sheet.

ZuleikaD Sat 06-Oct-12 14:10:29

I would pump and dump, yes, if it's going to be a real night out.

The 6oz will probably be enough at 4am but you might want to do another 3 or 4 to be safe. I think your DH might be better off leaving the feed in the fridge but leaving a thermos of boiling water ready for it to be warmed up quickly.

It'll depend when you stop drinking as to when it'll be ok - it takes the liver an hour to process a unit of alcohol so you could use that as a guide.

Rachog Sat 06-Oct-12 13:00:50

Thanks for the link, I will have a read now.

I will be drinking peach snaps and a fair few I would imagine.

me23 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:57:43

Lots of info here kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/ it all depends how much you drink really, I would have 2 small glasses of wine then feed my ds a few hours later.

Rachog Sat 06-Oct-12 12:50:39

hello wise mumsnetters smile

I am having a drink tonight.. first in a looooong while but I have a few questions.

I will feed ds before I go and put him down for the night, he usually sleeps from 8ish through till 4am. I have expressed some milk for the 4 am feed.

so questions..

If dp takes the milk out of the fridge upstairs with him when he goes to bed at 11/12 will it be ok for ds to drink at 4? (I am thinking this saves dp from trying to warm it up to the right temp when ds is crying for a feed, by 4am it should be room temp)

Will my milk be ok for ds to drink about 7ish when he wakes up for the day?

Do I need to express at 4am and dump it to keep my supply up?

how many oz's will ds need at his 4am feed? he is 12 weeks and i have expressed 6oz so far.

thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now