EBF 8 week old 'snacking'

(12 Posts)
Cee3008 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:44:00

Glad I'm not alone Shark :-)

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 12:35:08

Babies differ Shark - some babies cluster feed more than others!

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 12:34:15

grin

Every few weeks at first and then every few months - if you google you can find a list of likely stages when they happen!

Sharksandfishes Sat 06-Oct-12 12:32:34

Wow! I could've written this and this is DS2 so you would think I should know this!
I've been a bit worried today as he has fed hourly for the last 24 hours, but feel a bit reassured now but really don't remember this last time!blush

Cee3008 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:21:48

Oh we have been through some monster growth spurts with 8, 12 and 16 hour feeding frenzies! Incredible a little one can eat so much! How often do growth spurts happen?

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 12:06:42

That sounds perfect! Unbelievable how much they can feed while they are having a growth spurt (and how much food/how many MN threads.., blush )!

Cee3008 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:02:15

Thank you :-) I'll contine my iPad and bourbon creme addiction then :-)

MrsHuxtable Sat 06-Oct-12 12:01:44

Yep, all normal! Leave him to do what he needs to and enjoy the rest sitting on the sofa. My DD is 8 months now and I really miss it. She's way too busy now !grin

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 11:59:25

So basically you are doing brilliantly - just keeping offering often and feeding to his cues. smile

Pushing babies to go longer between feeds than they want to can reduce milk supply and affect weight gain. Babies who are fed completely on demand and are held often cry less too, according to one study.

I've found lots of biscuits and good books are essential to see me through growth spurts grin

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Oct-12 11:54:00

Yes - he is building up the supply. You would be surprised how much they can take in ten minutes!!

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 11:52:08

Completely normal "cluster feeding" and is because of hormone signals in your milk telling him to do this smile you, he and your milk are doing a fab job.

Just to give a but more detail, milk contains a hormone called cck among others. When a baby feeds the cck gives him a satisfied happy feeling. As the cck dips because your milk is digested the baby is triggered to feed again to get more cck.

This is what makes your baby able to feed more during growth spurts and get exactly the amount of milk he needs. Bm is really amazing stuff and after a few days of very intense feeding usually everything relaxes again!

Cee3008 Sat 06-Oct-12 11:02:23

My DS is 8wks old and appears to be snacking rather than feeding properly. He will feed for 10-12 mins then not be interested - doze for 10 mins then play or go straight o playing (not a big daytime sleeper) and then an hour later want feeding again.

For example, he tared feeding at 9am this morning and I've hardly put him down since. Is there any way I can start pushing him to longer less frequent feeds? He is a hungry little man and I am feeding on demand...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now