Help me- 15 mo self weaning, against my will!!

(38 Posts)
Mampig Fri 05-Oct-12 23:23:29

Hello all, I've been around a few blocks by now, and realise I'm clutching at straws, but maybe someone can help? 15 mo ds has been self weaning for about 2 weeks now. I was in denial initially but know its for real :-( . I'm actually distraught. I feel it's too early (for him and me), and can't understand why?! It seems like he has forgotten how to latch. I work FT, so have not been all available to him ifkwim? In one way, I feel this is the cause. But I am wondering if there is anything I can do?? Ideally I would like to be breastfeeding am and pm. My milk supply has really dropped, so I started fenugreek today, and also expressing ( I got nothing btw), so if he cannot latch on, I would still like to give him bm.
So- does anyone think its possible that he may latch on again? Or if not, do u think I can up my supply in order to give him a few oz bm per day in a cup? If u have read this far, I thank u!!!!

Mampig Tue 16-Oct-12 18:53:54

Thanks Asmy!! Just posted there- there is always hope!!!

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 16-Oct-12 17:38:10

Ps there is another lady suffering from a nursing strike currently on this board. If you have time maybe you could post and encourage her by telling her your story?

This is her thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/1588426-12m-old-dd-has-stopped-breastfeeding

Asmywhimsytakesme Tue 16-Oct-12 17:35:03

Mampig that is wonderful news gringrin

So very pleased for you and hopefully you will now be happily feeding for many months to come!

xx

Mampig Tue 16-Oct-12 17:32:14

Little update....grin all going well!!! Feeding again, supply has dipped but he is increasing it himself! Can't tell u how happy I am!!! Thanks everyone for the support!!!

Mampig Thu 11-Oct-12 23:09:23

Thank u!! Tried it there, fabulous- wondering how I didn't know about it before!!!grin

Asmywhimsytakesme Wed 10-Oct-12 22:29:12

Mampig so pleased things are improving smile

Looking forward to reading your update - hopefully milk intake will be increasing.

If you are finding you can't pump you could google the mamet hand expression technique which is fab.

Mampig Wed 10-Oct-12 21:17:26

Slowly getting better. All clear at GP, so must be the teeth. His latch is terrible, so gently working on it, but he's back for boobie cuddles and demanding skin to skin again. He must be missing the closeness, as am I, but I do feel we are getting somewhere. I think I was getting so stressed about it, and you lovely ladies helped me settle downgrin. I will update again in a few days, hopefully with a milky story!!!

Mampig Mon 08-Oct-12 21:36:23

Yeah, he's getting some molarssad. Had another little mouthful tonightsmile.
The expressing is just not happening tho, just hope that if he does return to bf, that I have something for him. I'm pumping anyway, just to stimulate, and the little monkey is actually trying to pump for me- the irony!!grin

butterfingerz Mon 08-Oct-12 11:16:01

My 16 month DS is teething, he's had quite a few teeth come through very quickly. His latch is terrible, maybe he's trying to renegotiate the nipple with his new teeth... but my nipples are suffering, they're red raw!

So I would second the teething suggestion, try some calpol and bongela if you feel this is the reason? Hopefully it will pass and you'll be up and running soon!

I also struggle with expressing, always have... I don't think it's necessarily a reflection on your supply. Keep it up though as the stimulation will help to tell your body you've not given up.

IWipeArses Mon 08-Oct-12 09:42:22

Also check for oral thrush? Or any other type of mouth infection like hand foot and mouth, they both put DS off feeding at that sort of age.

Good luck. smile

Asmywhimsytakesme Sun 07-Oct-12 20:47:47

Mam good idea to go to gp and great news he had a suck - milk soon hopefully smile

Mampig Sun 07-Oct-12 20:46:42

Meant to say, I think I will get him checked by Gp. In reflecting, this happened just after MMR, and I know he took mild measles from it, and he is still out of sorts. Prob is that it takes ages to get appointment, might have to exaggerate the truth somewhat! Thanks!

Mampig Sun 07-Oct-12 20:43:59

Thank u both. Expressing isn't working, but I acknowledge that if I can get him feeding again it should be ok.. He took a mouthful of boob today, no sucking but a start at least. Can't tell u how happy I was at not getting rejected! Gosh, I know how sad this sounds to others who don't understand, and I really appreciate your support. I will keep you all posted one way or the other! smile

AngelDog Sun 07-Oct-12 02:37:24

Kellymom has some good info on nursing strikes - it does sound like that rather than self-weaning.

Have you had him checked by a GP? My DS went on a partial strike at 13 months (he'd feed to sleep, but no other time). He seemed fit & well, but it turned out he had a bad ear & chest infection, then went on to get a D&V bug and conjunctivitis too. I think it was the antibiotics which resolved it in the end; the strike lasted 12 days. Ear infections can often cause strikes as they make feeding uncomfortable.

My supply dropped loads (I didn't really manage to express much) but it seemed to recover quickly once the strike was over.

KD0706 Sat 06-Oct-12 23:18:25

Just wanted to add my support.
My dd1 self weaned at 20 months (or nursing strike which led to weaning), I was 5 months pregnant with dd2 and I think my milk was low supply or tasted funny maybe (from other peoples experiences). Anyway, I just let it happen as I was willing to tandem nurse but not totally keen on the idea

I still remember very keenly the upset of offering the breast and her not be interested

Big hugs. I hope it's resolved soon, let us know.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 10:51:52

Good! Please keep us posted! If it is a nursing strike keeping on offering to feed calmly in different settings will resolve it in time.

Mampig Sat 06-Oct-12 10:18:54

So I've just read about a 30 day nursing strike!!! Feeling more hopeful now....

Mampig Sat 06-Oct-12 08:51:40

Thanks too Kerno. He is teething at the minute. I'm just worried because its going on too longsad

Mampig Sat 06-Oct-12 08:50:09

Asmy you have been very kind- I will keep u posted.

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 08:18:26

Big hugs to you mam thanks

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 06-Oct-12 08:07:41

Kerno teething pain can trigger nursing strikes I think, so you have good instincts!

Mam if you look through the stories on the LLL site, one mother describes a strike that lasted 18 days and then baby came back to bf

kernowmissvyghen Sat 06-Oct-12 00:19:16

I am speaking from a position of considerable ignorance (bf a 13mo but no other qualifications) so feel free to ignore if this isn't useful, but could it be something to do with teething? My DS seems to temporarily "forget" how to latch whenever his teeth move, and the oral discomfort also makes him less interested for a few days - if something major like several molars are coming through, could this be a factor?

Completely understand how you must feel- hope it resolves soon!

Mampig Sat 06-Oct-12 00:00:23

Thanks Sausage

Mampig Fri 05-Oct-12 23:59:31

Just re-read.
I would be delighted if it was a strikegrin
Gonna keep gently offering ( the rejection is harsh though). Been in tears a few times now sad

sausagerolemodel Fri 05-Oct-12 23:58:14

Thx for explaining. I take my hat off! I enjoyed breast feeding but could not have managed for much longer than I did! (about 9mo). Sorry, obvs i have no advice therefore, but Good luck! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now