How to stay awake during night feeds part 2, sleepy mice need not apply

(1000 Posts)
technoduck Thu 04-Oct-12 04:06:09

Hello!
Carrying on are good work from the first thread , how do we keep are selfs awake? By chatting to each other sleepy heads!

Minipopsmum he was 31 weeks, now 3 weeks corrected. Nearly 7lbs - he keeps getting longer rather than fatter. I am already despairing about buying jeans in the future!
Tea are you another prem then?
We have just woken for the first time at 1! This is a record. Can we do another four hour stint? (pleeease, Kidlet!)

missingmymarbles Sat 06-Oct-12 02:02:57

shock Missmarbles is asleep on my shoulder post first feed of nightshock 6 hours!! Sounded like a poosplosion and she looked a bit bemused while I checked after first boob. False alarm, thankfully, so small amount from other boob taken and now sleeping snuffily. Wonder if another 6 hours will follow??

Hope your appt goes well Tea. I'm sure it will be fine. As MiniPopsMum says, you can't help but worry, but you would Orem or not with any consultant development check. My DD1 was prem, not that you can tell now (she's 7), and never laid down a lot of baby chub, either got longer or did something developmentally instead. Total contrast to Missmarbles, who has 2 chins and appears to have elastic bands for joints and sausages for fingers grin

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Sat 06-Oct-12 02:24:48

We're still up sad Between feed, hiccups, two more pooey nappies, more wind, feed and twice just waking herself up I've not managed to sleep since DH brought her up at 11 so feeling a bit rubbish now. How have others got round the problem of baby waking themselves through too much movement? I know people say swaddle but I've read you're not meant to do that overnight? My DM bought us some lovely big swaddling muslins which are meant to be good for temperature regulation but I'm still not sure if its safe to do it overnight.

Tea hope your appointment goes well

Goat DS was born at 31+5, so he's now 22 weeks, 16 weeks corrected. I'm sure you'll see Kidlet pile on the chub soon grin but prems do seem to end up very long/tall I think! Since DS was born, I've learnt that several of my friends were born around 32 weeks, and all bar one are very very tall. DH is 6'4" so I think I'm doomed to have my baby towering over me when he grows up!

Not a good night here (after an amazing 5.5hr stretch last night!) - he fell asleep at 10, but has been up at 12:30 and 2:30 so far. Poop.

funchum8am Sat 06-Oct-12 03:06:02

Hi everyone, may I join you? It's my first sleepless night at home as DD was born early hours of Thursday and we came home today. She is gorgeous but won't sleep in her Moses basket (well, she managed an hour 11-midnight. Have been up ever since with her feeding or lying asleep with my nipple in or near her mouth; she wakes and cries within minutes if I put her back.

Obviously it's very early days so I will persevere for now but seriously considering sleeping, or a bedside cosleeper cot! Some company for these overnighters would be really welcome - I am on my third night of no sleep, and one of those involved giving birth!!

funchum8am Sat 06-Oct-12 03:09:24

Sorry I meant "seriously considering co sleeping" in my post above (I guess I really am tired to the point where I cannot function!)

Smallgreenone Sat 06-Oct-12 03:21:34

Hi ladies, can I join please? I'm so happy to give found you all! DS is 6 weeks on Sunday and gets up once or twice a night but just won't sleep tonight :-(
I would really really like a night off and vice asked him so nicely to please sleep for longer than 2 hours but I don't think he's listening. Sob.

funchum8am Sat 06-Oct-12 03:27:07

Hi smallgreen from late pregnancy thread! I am sharing your pain...about to try DD back in her Moses basket but not expecting her to stay asleep for long! She isn't actually awake enough to feed so she is only waking to protest about being on the basket when she wants to be in our bed but we are not yet set up for cosleeping so I have to stay awake with her or get her to agree to sleep in that basket.

Best of luck in your efforts with DS!

Smallgreenone Sat 06-Oct-12 03:37:55

Good luck funchum! He's now asleep on me so will try the same but I bet he'll wake up after 10 mins- he has started to hate his basket and I don't know why. I can also hear DH snoring away on our bed and I want to punch him for having so much sleep!!!

Tooodlepip Sat 06-Oct-12 03:45:16

Hi

Funchum my first son never slept in a Moses basket it was as though he felt claustrophobic in them blush I know your thinking how is that possible grin anyway I was in denial for ages then set up the big cot and he slept fine how weird was that grin

True I promise grin

I need sleep, but it's not happening second feed tonight I hope he goes till near 7 but it could be closer to 5 sad

ReturnOfTheMunx Sat 06-Oct-12 03:51:35

Slept 10-12 and 1-3.........

PeerieMootsMum Sat 06-Oct-12 04:07:25

Hello, can I sneak in too? Up 2hrs 10 mins and counting... Shouldn't have got excited when moot sleep 9-2 then 3-7 last night...

I'm baaaack!
Hello fun and small, congratulations on your arrivals! Hope you really enjoy the new days. Is this your first? fun I am impressed that you can write a coherent post on day 2!
tea I think you're right about length, and my DH is 6'5'' so yep, no shortie there! Good luck with your appointment next week - wow, six months, what a wonderful milestone!
Hating Moses baskets seems to be a recurring theme here. Interesting how many of the LOs really dislike them.

MiniPopsMum2012 Sat 06-Oct-12 04:22:55

Ah goat glad he's getting taller. Minipop is there exception to the premmie rule, he's not as tall as he should be, but is a proper pudding. 91st centile for head & weight (corrected age) but only midway for heights grin hope you get the door hour stint.

marbles 6 hours? Blimey! smile

heffalump I didn't know that about swaddling, I swaddle Minipop during the night some times. It keeps him warm & stops him jumping around.

tea dislike sad

Hey funch & small congrats & welcome. smile

So, Minipop is really congested and it's stopping him from sleeping. He's been woken up by coughing & choking & crying every half hour since going down at midnight. Poor little mite, and I have no saline drops in the house either.

BabylonPI Sat 06-Oct-12 05:53:48

I've just had a 4.5 hour BIG sleep grin

princesssugar Sat 06-Oct-12 05:57:32

Morning. A bit angry with myself today as kept falling asleep during feeds so feels like i have not had any sleep at all, and little prince is still feeding. Bless him he cries and pulls his legs up so i thnk he has wind. Do they still sell gripe water or has that been banned? I need to investigate options today

Welome to fun and small! Cngratulations on your lttle ones. Matchsticks for your eyes and virtual coffee available.

princesssugar Sat 06-Oct-12 06:00:38

H a suggestion someone gave me about mosex baskets was to put something in the basket with your smell on it, either e tshirt or keep one of the baby's blankets under your top for a while. Apparently it helps thsm settle and feels familiar.

I am so tired that the shopping channels are starting to look iinteresting!

Mmmm... Can I have cream (double since it's virtual) and sugar in my coffee please? Now been up since 3:45.
Yes, gripe water still available. We have some but can't use it until Kidlet is a bit bigger, so don't know if it works. Has fennel in it, ugh. There's also Infacol, although there was a thread on a study into its inefficacy?
Poor Minipop with his congestion, that sounds horrible. Hope you both get some sleep. (oh, and Kidlet is 91st percentile for length and head circ and 0.4 for weight!)
Welcome to PMM too...
And hooray for Babylon's sleep! Long may it continue.

Smallgreenone Sat 06-Oct-12 07:05:21

He did sleep! Back again now though. He's a windy one too and we tried infacol and gripe water but I think they may have made it worse so stopped! He's a bit better this week so his tummy must be getting more efficient at digesting.
I'd heard about putting something in with them that smells of you but then worried about SIDS and having extra things in the basket- paranoid first time mum! Sometimes the white noise thing works too and in the day he's happy in his sling.
I'm hoping dh will get up now and take him so I can have a bit more snooze time.

PeerieMootsMum Sat 06-Oct-12 07:05:56

Yawwn, long night. We've been using infacol for moots wind for a couple of weeks. Coincided with a definite improvement in him but it was desperate times so also cut out dairy (longing daily looks at my choc stash), started holding upright after feeding and me drinking lots of fennel tea (seconding goat's ughh). So one of the above seems to have helped but too afraid to cut back on any to see what in case there's a relapse... Of course it may just have been the passage of time... Arghh confused

PeerieMootsMum Sat 06-Oct-12 07:15:34

Oh and catching up on earlier chat, we got moot a couple of sleeping grobags in ikea, they were only £12 and had smaller arm and neck holes so fit 8wk old / 11lb moot perfectly. They definitely help when transferring sleeping LO into crib without waking.

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Sat 06-Oct-12 08:09:23

After a bad start we had a good ending, sleep 9pm til 11pm, 3am til 6am then 6.15am unyil 7.30am when she woke uo and did the obligatory humingous poo all over everything. Sat up with a cup of tea now while DH & DD1 have a little lie in.

Does anyone know anything more about swaddling, hopefully it's just me imagining it and its perfectly fine to use overnight!

Hope everyone got sleep in some form or another last night smile

Hi well we managed 10.30-2.30 then 2.30-5.30 in between feeds so about 4.5 hours of sleep for me in 2 sessions. DD1 then got up at 7am. Baby DD still sleeping.

She really struggles with wind though - have been using infacol which does produce one huge burp as soon as feed finishes and sleeps very quietly and still when being held but as soon as she gets put down she starts shuffling, grunting and straining. She won't do any more burps but it comes out the other end! She'll be asleep but so noisy that I can't sleep. Any suggestions??

funchum8am Sat 06-Oct-12 08:21:15

Well I was lucky and slept on and off from 4-8am in the end as after a long feed she was happy with just DH for all that time. He has been amazing so far! She is now feeding again but keeps falling asleep latched on so I am doing the foot/cheek tickling thing to wake her. First MW visit today and hopefully my milk will come in soon too...it's all happening!

I hope everyone got enough sleep to stay sane for another day!

Smallgreenone Sat 06-Oct-12 11:38:39

heff I'm not an expert by any means but the midwife told us not to swaddle him even though that's what they did in hospital. I think it's incase of overheating and increased SIDS risk.

This thread is not accepting new messages.