He is laughing at me!

(10 Posts)
quietlysuggests Mon 01-Oct-12 19:59:46

Ds 4 is 1 now and until now has been a dream to feed, really easy, no complications or concerns at all.
I have no plans to stop, its just great.
But for the past 2-3 weeks he is sort of confused/ mucking about/ forgotten how to do it and I'm nearly running out of milk.
When I pop him on, he just laughs, pulls away, blows bubbles on the nipple etc
If he could talk he would be saying "Yeah its a lovely nipple and all Mummy but what am I supposed to do with that?"
He will take a feed when I'm putting him down at 7pm, and a dream feed at 11pm.
Until today he also took a huge drink first thing in the morning but this morning he just laughed at me, and again at his nap time and again after lunch he wouldn't drink.
I never did feed to a schedule but I know he is drinking far far less now than say 2 weeks ago. My breats went very hard initially as he wasn't draining them and now they have lost all their fullness so I think the river is a trickle now.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Could it be something new in my diet he doesn't like?
Teething?

ZigZagWanderer Mon 01-Oct-12 20:23:56

Hi have you tried the kellymom website? There are solutions to all sorts of issues on the site. I read about nursing strikes, self weaning, distracted babies etc etc.

quietlysuggests Mon 01-Oct-12 20:33:23

Oh yeah I forgot about there, thanks for that.

DknyQueen Mon 01-Oct-12 21:25:17

My DS is 8 months and last week I went through something similar. I went on Kellymom and read about nursing strikes. Basically he was refusing my milk most of the time and was generally much les interested. What I hadn't realised before reading Kellymom is that it's a good idea to express. I thought that my supply was settled and a few days of not feeding much wouldn't affect it but actually it really dipped. Also learnt that it's probably a phase and it won't necessarily last long.
I hope things get back on track for you soon. I was very sad that he wasn't feeding much but he seems to be back to normal now.

Mampig Mon 01-Oct-12 21:39:38

Same story here, mine 15 mo has stopped completely at this stage- not had a feed since last week, did the giggle smiling thing too, but now just refuses completely. Am devastated!! So- sympathies to u sad

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 01-Oct-12 21:53:36

I doubt your milk has dried up that quickly, DD2 would feed some days and not others at once she started school.

Said she was giving up, then decided weekends and holidays didn't count, because you weren't at school.

I found milk just seemed to be produced as needed, you stopped feeling full, but there was definitely something there.

She carried on a very long time. She'd stop and start again as if she instinctively knew how long she could leave it.

So he may settle down and feed when
It's quiet and he's bored or meeds reassurance or he may give up.

There is no way of knowing. All I do know is it is us who get to choose.

IWipeArses Mon 01-Oct-12 22:02:52

Pregnancy test...

quietlysuggests Mon 01-Oct-12 22:56:54

Pregnancy test? Ooh I would love that. But it would quite the miracle be..

Mampig Sat 06-Oct-12 15:23:56

Hi op, just wondering how things are now?

nickeldaisical Sat 06-Oct-12 15:25:49

i agree with Dkny - express your milk to keep up supply until he's back - i suppose then you can store it in the freezer for when you need it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now