Lip tie and tongue tie - HELP!

(37 Posts)
TruthSweet Mon 24-Sep-12 10:44:31

DD4 was born late Friday night and fed in delivery room (7 sides!). I noticed she wasn't latching on terribly well but put it down to mec. swallowing and the pain relief I had during my induction (remifentanil PCA - an opiate that has a 7 minute half life in adults and slightly longer in neonates). Biological nurturing didn't work for her (feeding reflexes sluggish though she was very alert) so I latched her on myself in cross cradle.

On the ward she did a blow out mec. nappy and during the nappy/clothes changing crying I noticed she had a quite a thick lip tie. I did Murphy Maneuver and could feel a posterior/sub mucosal frenulum though that was quite thin. She latches with her tongue back although she can stick her tongue out slightly. Ward MW reluctantly did a referral to the TT clinic but couldn't say how long it would be.

I am now exceptionally sore - bleeding, cracked, blistered nipples - and each feed results in wedge shaped nipples with a ridge running over the nipple. I have done exaggerated latch, and am changing feeding position fairly frequently so that the same part isn't getting all the damage. I have lansinoh and am doing moist wound healing but it's not yet working.

DD4 feeds on average 6 sides per feed (I swap sides when she stops suckling but she clamps down with her jaws). The feeding is pretty ineffective as on average she does 7 sucks per swallow, with breast compressions this does get better but still 3 or 4 sucks per swallow. She doesn't open her mouth very wide either. She had 7mls of ante-natally expressed colostrum by syringe on her 2nd night as she fed from 11pm to 6am but she fed straight away afterwards.

She is very mucousy and throws up a lot inc. a spectacular vomit that projectile shot out of her nose and mouth at the same time! She also burps a lot. Her poo was greenish yellow on day 1-2 has been profuse - 8 large poos in first 24 hours - though they are getting smaller and more yellow and is weeing well too.

Is there anything else I can be doing to help her? My brain is slush and I can't think properly. Sorry for epic post but I didn't want to miss any thing out.

TruthSweet Thu 27-Sep-12 16:45:30

grin DD4 is sleeping better too - she has had two naps this afternoon instead of feeding and screaming!

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 27-Sep-12 17:29:21

Glad things are better [smile

xx

TruthSweet Thu 11-Oct-12 13:06:49

I suspect that the TT wasn't cut fully as I can still feel a tight band where the cut was done.

DD4 is now vomiting profusely multiple times a day both straight after a feed and some time after a feed (on the rare occasions she goes longer than 30 mins between feeds). She seems so unsettled and cries all the time - when she's not feeding that is. DH has now nicknamed her 'Air Raid Siren' because of how strident her cry is sad

She has put on weight and has gone from 7lb 2oz (her lowest weight on day 5) to 8lb 2oz (on day 20) so her weight gain is good even with the vomiting but it's really distressing her.

mawbroon Thu 11-Oct-12 14:12:38

Urgh. That's often the trouble with posterior ties. What are you going to do now? And what was the verdict about the lip?

TruthSweet Thu 11-Oct-12 14:46:26

I spoke to one of the IFCs at the local TT clinic about the reattchment/incomplete revision and mentioned the reflux (vomiting copiously 15 times a day at least) and she said reflux has nothing to do with TT and it's common for babies to vomit a lot hmm. The MW who does the actual revisions isn't there but will call me back at some point.

I have left messages for Ann Dobson & Milk Matters today as I get the feeling I will have to go private sad I am seeing the GP today about the reflux, she also has a bleeding tummy button and yesterday her whole body was spasming while in the sling shock so the HV said I needed to see the GP so I will ask about the lip tie then.

mawbroon Thu 11-Oct-12 14:58:46

Deal with people who know about tt and don't waste effort on those who don't (voice of experience)

Milk matters is a good move. And I know you are miles away, but if there's any way you could even consider going to Huddersfield, I would really recommend it. He would do the lip too and laser is much preferable over scissors.

AnnaLiza Thu 11-Oct-12 15:14:49

truthI bet you know far more than the lot of them combined! Sometimes knowing too much makes things harder sad
I hope things get better. Big hugs [flowers]

TruthSweet Thu 11-Oct-12 17:18:50

We have domperidone for the reflux and a referral to the max-fac unit grin hopefully that will get it seen too!

Oh and I am to give the domperidone 6 times a day - one dose after every feed.... I did mention then she feeds 20+ times a day (she is feeding now which is her 4th feed since 4pm!)

TruthSweet Sun 14-Oct-12 15:12:56

Ann Dobson came out to our house today and cut a posterior tt that had been completely missed by the hospital tt clinic angry

mawbroon Sun 14-Oct-12 17:43:13

Hope things start to improve for you now. Are you getting any bodywork done?

pigletmania Sun 14-Oct-12 18:02:19

Hi I just read up your op and was going to say ask truth, until I saw it was you. Congratulations I hope everyone goes well smile

KafCurt Tue 22-Jan-13 08:03:12

Please can everyone read, sign and share with others our petition to get Lip Tie checked at birth: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/44390.
To follow our campaign please like us on facebook at: www.facebook.com/LipTieSupportGroup

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now