Breastfeeding and weight loss!

(6 Posts)
tannu Sat 08-Sep-12 22:38:42

Hi Everyone! Please could anybody advise on weightloss whilst breastfeeding? I already had trouble with milk supplies, but have finally managed to crack it. I am worried that any diet may interfere with me getting enough breast milk. Can anyone advise on exactly how you should be eating to maintain healthy milk supplies and achieve a reasonable weight loss.

Anybody that may have tried slimming world and things alike would be most welcome to advise.

Thank-you smile

PieFaceShowCase Sun 09-Sep-12 14:26:00

I'm 11 weeks into bfing and had trouble with supplies and DS' weightgain too. I started SW 3 weeks ago and in the first week was very strict and lost 6 lbs (have a looot to go though!) but DS went from putting on an oz a day to 7 oz in a fortnight and dropped from 25th to 12th percentile. It might have been coincidence so I've stuck with SW but had larger quantities and only lost 1 lb this week (am yet to get DS weighed). So I'm not sure what to advise. I feel better for eating better but still need large quantities! I have started exercising a little bit too which makes me want to eat better but bfing just makes me soooo hungry.

Good luck!

Startailoforangeandgold Sun 09-Sep-12 15:26:00

Why are you trying to loss weight while your DC is so small?

Just enjoy your baby.

tannu Mon 10-Sep-12 22:41:32

thanks for the replies! smile I hope to lose some weight as i feel too heavy and im used to being fairly slim. I find my knees beginning to hurt too when standing up just to cook a meal! I've gone up from being 9 stone to 11 stone and 8 1bs blush.

Thanks once again.

susiegrapevine Mon 10-Sep-12 22:45:58

I found that bf itself helps you loose weight just eat normal amounts you did before preganant. Last time I easily lost a stone and half and it did not take that long! Can't remember how long but a few months. Plus go on lots of walks with your baby pushing a pram will help you loose.

BabydollsMum Sat 15-Sep-12 11:48:39

It'll come off naturally. Breastfeeding itself is the best way to lose weight. If you were slim beforehand you'll be slim again, just give it time. There's no way I could have done without my post-natal tea, cakes and pints with the NCT girls!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now