Breastfeeding? how many of you didn't find it difficult?

(87 Posts)
MeeWhoo Fri 24-Aug-12 13:05:25

I know that obviously this is the place to come for advice and support and therefore the threads are generally about problems with BFing, so I was genuinely wondering how many of you would say you didn't finf BFing "hard", particularly with your first baby.

Also, if you have breastfed several babies, was the experience very different each time and harder with some babies than with others?

BertieBotts Tue 13-Nov-12 21:05:12

I had one small blip in the early days where I couldn't get him to latch when I was sitting up, but I got support for this fairly promptly and it sorted itself within a few days.

Apart from that was fine. I had read up quite a bit beforehand and was glued to MN etc grin so I think I sailed through some hurdles without a worry that I might otherwise have fallen at (growth spurts, the switch from hormonal to on demand supply, expressing, potential blocked duct, slow weight gain, etc)

Also I co slept which I think saved my sanity!

cheesesavory Tue 13-Nov-12 20:56:59

No problems, fed for 18m. Am expecting no 2 now and half looking forward to feeding again and half worrying that we won't have such an easy ride this time!

Wigeon Tue 13-Nov-12 13:45:40

Have BF two babies for a total of 26 months all together; I found it pretty straightforward. Both of them latched on really well when an hour old. Absolutely no sore nipples or any need for Lansinoh. We both adjusted to the growth spurts. Their weight gain was normal.

I did get mastitis twice with DD1 (and one of the times I felt really dreadful, like having the flu badly), but to be honest that was only a few days out of a whole year of feeding her, and I don't regret it for a minute.

I had read quite a bit about BF beforehand, and all the potential problems, that I was rather surprised to find it so straightforward. Given it's what my body is designed to do, it shouldn't be a surprise when it goes well!

I think overall I've had a very good ride with breastfeeding, but I haven't always enjoyed it.

DS was born at 31+5 and tube fed while I pumped to get my supply going. I was lucky that my milk came in very quickly, and that DS already had the suckle reflex (even though that doesn't usually develop until 34 weeks). I think it was his knack for it that helped us succeed.

He was exclusively BF from 2 weeks, and bar a bout of thrush for me in the first week (which thankfully he didn't get, probably because we were only latching once a day at that point), that's it in terms of "problems".

I hated hated hated it from about week 3 to 6, and used to dread each feed - not because of pain, I just wasn't dealing with it well emotionally/mentally. But we are now at 29 weeks and still going strong, and I barely notice that we are doing it now (except of course in the middle of the night, or when he bites me)

Just taken him to be weighed today, and he is now on the 50th percentile, having started on the 9th. The HVs were shocked, as ever, that he has only ever had breastmilk hmm

Curtsey Tue 13-Nov-12 11:23:02

I would fall into the 'minor difficulties' category.

What was difficult: DD having a PTT which meant sore cracked nipples for me at the start. She needed to feed very frequently for a long time because she got tired having to work that bit harder for the milk. Her weight gain was slowish but not particularly worrying.

What was easy: DD latching on straight after birth, and continuing to latch well. Never rejected boob. Had plenty of milk. At nearly 10 months have had no problems with thrush or mastitis.

I find it just so easy now, but tbh the hardest part at the start was just how different life with a newborn is - I probably would have felt like that regardless of how she was fed.

CrazyRandomHappenstance Tue 13-Nov-12 09:07:34

i had to give up at 6 weeks with DD1 but that was due to medication i needed to take, the actual BF i didn't have a problem with.
DD2 is 7mo and i have had no problems with her either, and still going strong. smile

Cies Mon 12-Nov-12 22:02:36

I had no problems at first, and loved bf from the start. I had mastitis a couple of times, those white blister things on my nipples a couple of times, a bit of biting but I never thought of those as reasons to give up- for me bf was my favourite part of babyhood. I was sad to stop at 2 and a quarter, and am really looking forward to bf my new baby, due any day now.

whosthis Mon 12-Nov-12 21:54:00

After having read all these replies, I found myself perhaps one of the very unlucky one (which I didn't believe).

Twice mastitis within a month. The 2nd time, as it's not obvious, it has been persistent for more than a week till I went to the GP for help - my nipples ache so much that I could not bare any clothes/breastpad on them. Don't want to move around even inside my own home, as the pain is so unbearable!

BigBoPeep Sat 25-Aug-12 22:49:44

I was expecting it to be dreadful - like going into battle. people just had me convinced that by 4mo at the latest i'd have to be 'topping up' with bottles. But I had a good example in a very pro breastfeeding friend and decided to just put my head down and bulldoze through it all.

actually, it was a piece of cake, a real surprise! Engorgement was no fun but not unbearable, oversupply problem required a quick google for the la leche league's advice, had a peculiar few days of excruitating pain that nobody really got to the bottom of (I think a massive growth spurt that changed the shape of her mouth too quick and affected latch) that almost made me give up but sooo glad i perservered because it went quickly and completely. let down v painful but that was just a few moments and gone.

I am also the type that doesn't mind a lot of feeding - it's just what they gotta do to keep your supply where it needs to be. I figure I have my whole life to be running around in so I should savour this time to relax with my baby whenever possible!

I was counting down the days to weaning at first and didnt feel all cuddly and glowy, but now i like it and feel a bit sad when I think about weaning! imagining her last feed makes me sad

Tigresswoods Sat 25-Aug-12 22:28:42

Me. Not sure if it was DS or me but it was no trouble. I was taken to theatre shortly after delivery for a little stitching. DH was left holding the baby. Consequently it was about 4-5hrs after birth that I first offered the boob.

I never had a bit of help, just sat in my bed holding my gorgeous boy & did what was natural.

Just lucky?

BuntCadger Sat 25-Aug-12 22:28:33

On 3rd and its hard as upper lip tie and pro tongue tie (she's 10m). Very sore nipples at mo, doing exaggerated latch to help.

DS is 16mo and still BF.

BF has been wonderful and pain free since he was about 7 months old. Apart from 2 bouts of mastitis earlier this year, but that was due to overworking rather than anything else.

Lawabidingmama Sat 25-Aug-12 22:19:14

I found it easy DD1 was a great feeder despite having a tongue tie which didn't get corrected she piled the pounds on and didn't have anything but me till we started weaning at 6 mo carried on bf till I went back to work at 9 mo. DD2 has also been fine she's 5 mo and ebf had a few niggles this time but mainly due to the fact I've less time on my hands to sit feeding as DD1 is only 2!!

hairytale Sat 25-Aug-12 19:47:05

The only problem I had was the staff in the maternity ward telling me I was "doing it wrong" but not helping, and then when I had no fight left due to exhaustion giving formula. However, once I realised I was doing it right it was fine - DD is 7 months and still breast fed.

Kveta Sat 25-Aug-12 08:43:45

found it painful and relentless for the first few weeks with DS - he fed 20 hours out of 24, and my nipples were unimpressed! but after about 8 weeks the pain went, and although still relentless, it was pretty easy. still feeding him at 2.11.

DD (10.5 weeks) was so easy - she sleeps between feeds, and once i got hher latch perfected at a week old, it's all been straightforward.

my mum bfed 4 children, and found 3 very easy, but her 2nd was incredibly hard, so I knew it might get harder with DC2, but have been lucky!

Feeding ds1 was easy in retrospect. Apart from when he was about 6 weeks old when it got painful. I saw a great bf counsellor, who corrected the latch, and I fed him until he was 1. Ds2 has seemed a little harder. Not the feeding itself, but concerns over weightgain at the beginning, and tongue tie. He's now 8 months, and I want to continue feeding him for a couple more months, but we'll have to see how we go, he's got very bitey, which isn't a lot of fun.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 25-Aug-12 08:32:18

I have found it easy, the hardest part was getting premature babies breastfeeding. With my second daughter it was easy, she was so rooty they had to call me down from the ward at 7am the next day! I did all her day feeds after that and took over the night when we were moved to the same ward.

My eldest took to it really well too, she had one feed a day from a week old, increased to two about 16 days old and at 17 days we were put together and she decided to scream if they put milk in her nose until she was put on the breast.

My youngest was the hardest because they gave her formula which made her sick and it took a long time before she was well enough to be able to feed herself. Once she was better and strong enough she breastfed fine.

Spammertime Sat 25-Aug-12 08:24:02

I have also found it v v easy (did laugh at the comment about getting them to stop though!)

I am v lazy too and it seemed so much easier than faffing about with bottles. Plus it's what all my friends / family / mum had done so it was kind of the norm for me really.

Oh and I had fairly big babies (for my size, anyway) - the eldest 2 were well over 9lb - and they both put on weight well. So whenever I hear stories about people being told they'll never sustain bigger babies, I get pretty annoyed.

The biggest reason I've come across for stopping is babies not putting on quite enough to stick to centiles, a bottle getting introduced, and then a whole cycle begins. I wish HVs (and well meaning relations) would differentiate better between the fact babies aren't robots, and so can have good weeks / bad weeks at putting on weight, and babies who are actually having a real problem putting on weight.

MeeWhoo Sat 25-Aug-12 08:11:07

Thank you everyone for your replies and sorry I went AWOL. (The laptop run out of battery and then wouldn't charge again).
Good to see that BFing doesn't necessarily need to be a struggle and that even people who had some problems during the first couple of weeks wouldn't describe it as a difficult experience overall.
As I suspected, an easy ride with your first one doesn't guarantee the same again for other babies. It seems that tongue tie is a more common than I thought as well, and that the small price to pay for babies who are good at latching and sucking from day 1 may be oversupply issues, which makes sense really.
For everyone who is still BFing or going to start to soon, I wish you all a continued "easy ride".

DS was born at 31+5 but just seemed to have the knack for breastfeeding.
I had a good supply from early on, and bar a small bout of thrush on about day 5 (just me, and cleared up very quickly thanks to some great support from my MW in getting me treated ASAP), we have had no problems at all.

Doesn't mean I have loved BFing - in fact I bloody hated it for a couple of weeks early on. Now I mostly enjoy it, but there are times when I think "hmmm if DS was ff I wouldn't have to do all the night feeds and my boobs could go back to being mine" (am rather sick of nursing bras and having to wear easy access clothing). But then again, I really like the convenience of breastfeeding, and that is the main thing for me.

But we are at 4 months now, and I am intending to carry on until at least 1 year, and hopefully two, depending on how things go.

I am in total admiration of the women who soldier on despite getting everything thrown at them - there are several ladies on my postnatal thread who are still persevering despite great pain. But I also admire mums who say "you know what, this isn't working for me, and it is important that I am happy".

BalloonSlayer Fri 24-Aug-12 19:55:25

I must add to my post above that my nipples did hurt but it passed.

I think it helped that I have the least sensitive nipples in the world, practically no feeling in them at all. That bit in 50 Shades of Grey when she has an orgasm from him stroking her nipples - incredulous snort from this direction.

x-post Banana - yes I think I was very lucky not to encounter any problems. With my first especially the support wasn't there - My only source of sensible advice was a book - LLL's Womanly art of breastfeeding. If I had encountered any problems I don't know if I'd have managed to keep BF.

Pozzled Fri 24-Aug-12 19:48:53

I found it pretty easy with both DDs, I've never had any pain or problems with latching. The worst part for me was the exhaustion in the early days and weeks with DD1. I did struggle with that a bit.

hazeyjane Fri 24-Aug-12 19:46:04

Tried breastfeeding all 3, and found it a nightmare each time and ended up switching to formula.

Between the 3 of them had - tongue tie, bad advice, lacerated nipples, thrush, mastitis, nipple vasospasm, upper lip tie, baby in nicu, jaundice, lack of sucking reflex, no milk until day 5, and reflux.

I think I may be unlucky!

I fed two for two years each with no problems at all.

I had quite hefty afterpains while BF my second in the early days and with both of them I found the twiddling phase a bit trying but apart from that it was just plug-and-go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now