Breastfeeding? how many of you didn't find it difficult?

(87 Posts)
MeeWhoo Fri 24-Aug-12 13:05:25

I know that obviously this is the place to come for advice and support and therefore the threads are generally about problems with BFing, so I was genuinely wondering how many of you would say you didn't finf BFing "hard", particularly with your first baby.

Also, if you have breastfed several babies, was the experience very different each time and harder with some babies than with others?

DS is 16mo and still BF.

BF has been wonderful and pain free since he was about 7 months old. Apart from 2 bouts of mastitis earlier this year, but that was due to overworking rather than anything else.

BuntCadger Sat 25-Aug-12 22:28:33

On 3rd and its hard as upper lip tie and pro tongue tie (she's 10m). Very sore nipples at mo, doing exaggerated latch to help.

Tigresswoods Sat 25-Aug-12 22:28:42

Me. Not sure if it was DS or me but it was no trouble. I was taken to theatre shortly after delivery for a little stitching. DH was left holding the baby. Consequently it was about 4-5hrs after birth that I first offered the boob.

I never had a bit of help, just sat in my bed holding my gorgeous boy & did what was natural.

Just lucky?

BigBoPeep Sat 25-Aug-12 22:49:44

I was expecting it to be dreadful - like going into battle. people just had me convinced that by 4mo at the latest i'd have to be 'topping up' with bottles. But I had a good example in a very pro breastfeeding friend and decided to just put my head down and bulldoze through it all.

actually, it was a piece of cake, a real surprise! Engorgement was no fun but not unbearable, oversupply problem required a quick google for the la leche league's advice, had a peculiar few days of excruitating pain that nobody really got to the bottom of (I think a massive growth spurt that changed the shape of her mouth too quick and affected latch) that almost made me give up but sooo glad i perservered because it went quickly and completely. let down v painful but that was just a few moments and gone.

I am also the type that doesn't mind a lot of feeding - it's just what they gotta do to keep your supply where it needs to be. I figure I have my whole life to be running around in so I should savour this time to relax with my baby whenever possible!

I was counting down the days to weaning at first and didnt feel all cuddly and glowy, but now i like it and feel a bit sad when I think about weaning! imagining her last feed makes me sad

whosthis Mon 12-Nov-12 21:54:00

After having read all these replies, I found myself perhaps one of the very unlucky one (which I didn't believe).

Twice mastitis within a month. The 2nd time, as it's not obvious, it has been persistent for more than a week till I went to the GP for help - my nipples ache so much that I could not bare any clothes/breastpad on them. Don't want to move around even inside my own home, as the pain is so unbearable!

Cies Mon 12-Nov-12 22:02:36

I had no problems at first, and loved bf from the start. I had mastitis a couple of times, those white blister things on my nipples a couple of times, a bit of biting but I never thought of those as reasons to give up- for me bf was my favourite part of babyhood. I was sad to stop at 2 and a quarter, and am really looking forward to bf my new baby, due any day now.

CrazyRandomHappenstance Tue 13-Nov-12 09:07:34

i had to give up at 6 weeks with DD1 but that was due to medication i needed to take, the actual BF i didn't have a problem with.
DD2 is 7mo and i have had no problems with her either, and still going strong. smile

Curtsey Tue 13-Nov-12 11:23:02

I would fall into the 'minor difficulties' category.

What was difficult: DD having a PTT which meant sore cracked nipples for me at the start. She needed to feed very frequently for a long time because she got tired having to work that bit harder for the milk. Her weight gain was slowish but not particularly worrying.

What was easy: DD latching on straight after birth, and continuing to latch well. Never rejected boob. Had plenty of milk. At nearly 10 months have had no problems with thrush or mastitis.

I find it just so easy now, but tbh the hardest part at the start was just how different life with a newborn is - I probably would have felt like that regardless of how she was fed.

I think overall I've had a very good ride with breastfeeding, but I haven't always enjoyed it.

DS was born at 31+5 and tube fed while I pumped to get my supply going. I was lucky that my milk came in very quickly, and that DS already had the suckle reflex (even though that doesn't usually develop until 34 weeks). I think it was his knack for it that helped us succeed.

He was exclusively BF from 2 weeks, and bar a bout of thrush for me in the first week (which thankfully he didn't get, probably because we were only latching once a day at that point), that's it in terms of "problems".

I hated hated hated it from about week 3 to 6, and used to dread each feed - not because of pain, I just wasn't dealing with it well emotionally/mentally. But we are now at 29 weeks and still going strong, and I barely notice that we are doing it now (except of course in the middle of the night, or when he bites me)

Just taken him to be weighed today, and he is now on the 50th percentile, having started on the 9th. The HVs were shocked, as ever, that he has only ever had breastmilk hmm

Wigeon Tue 13-Nov-12 13:45:40

Have BF two babies for a total of 26 months all together; I found it pretty straightforward. Both of them latched on really well when an hour old. Absolutely no sore nipples or any need for Lansinoh. We both adjusted to the growth spurts. Their weight gain was normal.

I did get mastitis twice with DD1 (and one of the times I felt really dreadful, like having the flu badly), but to be honest that was only a few days out of a whole year of feeding her, and I don't regret it for a minute.

I had read quite a bit about BF beforehand, and all the potential problems, that I was rather surprised to find it so straightforward. Given it's what my body is designed to do, it shouldn't be a surprise when it goes well!

cheesesavory Tue 13-Nov-12 20:56:59

No problems, fed for 18m. Am expecting no 2 now and half looking forward to feeding again and half worrying that we won't have such an easy ride this time!

BertieBotts Tue 13-Nov-12 21:05:12

I had one small blip in the early days where I couldn't get him to latch when I was sitting up, but I got support for this fairly promptly and it sorted itself within a few days.

Apart from that was fine. I had read up quite a bit beforehand and was glued to MN etc grin so I think I sailed through some hurdles without a worry that I might otherwise have fallen at (growth spurts, the switch from hormonal to on demand supply, expressing, potential blocked duct, slow weight gain, etc)

Also I co slept which I think saved my sanity!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now