Tommee tippee teats - when to change size?

(10 Posts)
marzipanlover Sun 22-May-11 07:14:44

Can anyone tell me when they changed from using size 1 teats to size 2? My DS is only 4 weeks old but I have been advised to use size 2s so that he will take more milk and go for longer between feeds. Any comments appreciated! Thanks.

linziluv Sun 22-May-11 07:22:39

I found my DS was sucking furiously and getting frustrated as he couldn't get the milk out quick enough...often nodding off before finishing, waking shortly to be hungry again!
If it's too fast a teat, as happened with my niece, milk will dribble down your DS's face. My son was a little older I think when I changed but by all means try it!

Pootle78 Sun 22-May-11 09:01:27

My ds was 4 days old! He sucked so hard he would deform the teet. He's now 15 weeks and still on size 2. He started to deform size 2 when he was about 6 weeks so tried the vari flow but he either ended up covered or drowning, so stayed with size 2 and he's stopped deforming and if anything we seem to have more milk leeks now.

Pootle78 Sun 22-May-11 09:03:18

leaks !

theborrower Sun 22-May-11 10:23:22

We moved to the variflow at several months (can't quite remember when!) but it was when she was taking ages to drink her feed and was making a wee sigh when she was feeding like she was getting tired! If the teat collapses, try unscrewing the ring slightly so it's not so tight, and pinch the wee air hole.

Who advised you to encourage your DS to go longer between feeds? 4 weeks is still very young and he will probably need to feed frequently for a while yet. My DD fed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours at that age. She is nearly 10 months now and still gets milk every 4 hours during the day now.

Cattleprod Sun 22-May-11 10:25:40

DS was still using size 1 teats at 2 yrs old. He never had any problems with them and emptied a bottle in a couple of minutes.

marzipanlover Mon 23-May-11 05:50:46

Thanks. I think I will stick with size one for a while then. My hv told me he should be going for longer between feeds because of his size (he's 12 pounds at the moment)...

MagicJemmaLej27 Mon 15-Jun-15 01:03:13

Hi my daughter is 5 wks wed. She is on a size 1 teat, but makes a mess and mik is all round her mouth. Although sometimes she sucks the teat hard and it bends in and makes a wee sound when I pull her off. She hardly ever finishes a bottle in one go can take an hour.

emzii206 Mon 15-Jun-15 21:22:14

We moved DD (now 8 weeks old) onto variflow teats at 2 weeks old! She was getting furious with the size 1 because she couldn't get enough out...then we put size 2 on. That was fine for about 2 days, then she decided she wasn't getting enough out of that either! So I got some variflow ones, and she seems quite happy with them smile....She's not necessarily taking more per feed (4oz usually) but she cuts through it a lot quicker, burps more easily, and seems way more content afterwards smile

Julieb85 Fri 19-Jun-15 15:22:53

We went straight into size 2s day after DS was born as he was only trying half an ounce each feed. Turns out he was struggling and getting fed up!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now