Chicken pox and breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
TuttoRhino Sun 23-Jan-11 09:09:53

My 19 month old has come down with chicken pox. Joy.

Has anyone had any experience of breastfeeding a toddler with chicken pox? Did it pass through their system any quicker? Realise I may be clutching at straws here but some positive examples would make me feel better about the upcoming days when the spots turn into scratchy blisters.

belgo Sun 23-Jan-11 09:12:51

I was still bfing dd2 when she had chicken pox. She was ill for a few days but not badly ill. Of course I can't say for certain but I think bfing her helped the chicken pox not to be so bad. And of course the bfing gave her comfort when she was feeling ill.

boogeek Sun 23-Jan-11 09:14:09

I did it - no idea if it made it pass any quicker but it was definitely a comfort
I have three DCs, all three have had it. One hardly noticed, the other two got it badly. I think you just have to ride it out! Cool baths and piriton.

HennaLover Sun 23-Jan-11 09:41:27

I was BF DS2 when he had chicken pox nd made no real difference - I was also 39 weeks pg though so he wasn't nursing much

I was feeding dd2 when she had it but she was only 5 months old so no other option grin It certainly didn't stop her getting it from her sister and I don't think it makes the illness progress any quicker. Really important for comfort though. I assume you have had CP?

TuttoRhino Sun 23-Jan-11 10:46:38

Yes I had a really bad case of CP when I was around 12 so no worries about getting it again.

Bum. Was really hoping it would have some magical effect. She wanted to nurse loads last night and decided to get up at 2:30am and stayed up till 4:30. Not looking forward to this coming week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now