first period while breastfeeding...

(14 Posts)
missytequila Mon 13-Dec-10 00:41:30

did anyone else have a very heavy period the first time it returned? mine just came back, baby is 8 months... its yuck! is this normal? and did your cycles go back to normal or where they unpredictable for a while when you keep breastfeeding?

Mij Mon 13-Dec-10 13:32:23

I didn't have a particularly heavy period when mine came back, either time. First time around at about 15mths (heaven), second time at 3 weeks (noooooooo!) because DD2 didn't feed a couple of nights and my hormones must have kicked in! However, they did settle into a pattern very quickly again, and about the same as they had been before (same cycle length etc) apart from one thing - I'd virtually stop bleeding about day 3 or 4, and then start again day 6, tailing off day 7/8. Weird.

And my PMS came back with a vengence after DD2, whereas I'd hardly had it at all between the two kids.

Conclusion? There's no bloody normal, yet again! A heavy period could be a sign that your body has been gearing up to restart for a couple of months, I guess, just like getting the first one as a kid? Just a thought.

Oh, and I've been breastfeeding continuously for 4.5yrs, and it seemed to make no difference to periods once they had returned.

missytequila Mon 13-Dec-10 14:43:26

my periods have always been slightly irregular and usually very light...

this one is so heavy its kinda freaking me out...

just wondering if others had changes in their cycle post baby

HollyBerryLelloHoHo Mon 13-Dec-10 14:44:56

Mine returned at about 8 months IIRC, but were quite iregular and spaced out. They have returned to something more like 'normal' now I no longer feed.

crikeybadger Mon 13-Dec-10 16:51:28

Mine are all over the place (despite being on the pill) one normal one, one short one about two weeks later, another really heavy one some weeks after that (accompanied by cramp from hell).

I think my body is saying that I've not had periods for 12 months so I'm due some pain smile

Yes, a heavier period can occur after childbirth. I know my first post baby period, while still bfing was horrendous. It got much better though. And while I was having regular periods quite quickly, I wasn't actually fertile as I was ovulating far too late in my cycle. I think the bfing was unbalancing the hormones a bit. Eventually drifted back to normal.

Lavitabellissima Mon 13-Dec-10 16:56:31

I have birth to twins nearly 6 weeks ago and am still bleeding. I'm breast feeding, but it's bright red blood, I'm not sure if I've started my period hmm

I'm not sure what my regular cycle is, as I was on the pill for 14 year, had one period then conceived. It's really heavy though, although this is the first time in my life I've used sanitary towels.

SorryThat doesn't help does it. Hope someone can clarify for me too.

Lavitabellissima Mon 13-Dec-10 16:57:18

Sorry phone texting, terrible grammar & spelling!

MummyElk Tue 14-Dec-10 17:35:44

my first period has both times been UNBELIEVABLY heavy...completely horrible. completely sympathise.
it probably will get less, and back to "normal". think mine were still regular when i was bfing last time...and, um (thinks back) yes think they are pretty regular now..
i was still excl bfing when mine came back at 5 months, couldn't believe it! Rubbish body smile

Lavitabellissima Wed 15-Dec-10 09:30:17

Thanks Mummyelk, I had a scan yesterday and it seems it is my period, rubbish!

MummyElk Thu 16-Dec-10 13:31:01

rubbish lavita that is simply Not Fair! twins and only 6 weeks ago! Poor you. Big sympathies...
(still...means you could crack on with the next one though wink <DUCKS>)
grin

Lavitabellissima Thu 16-Dec-10 20:47:19

I'd probably end up with triplets grin

igetmorelovefromthecat Thu 16-Dec-10 22:13:55

I am jealous! Mine came back 6 weeks after giving birth, even though DD is EBF. She is now nearly 5 months old and I have had 3 periods so far, the first couple were a lot heavier than usual but the third one was more like they used to be pre-baby.

catwhiskers10 Fri 17-Dec-10 11:53:27

Yes, I had the same, periods returned 8 weeks after having baby despite breastfeeding. DD is now 9 months and I am still breastfeeding and although periods are regular, they are much heavier than before I got pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now