Is it safe to bottle feed baby flat on his back in his cot?

(24 Posts)
SusannahSpoon Sun 19-Sep-10 08:54:29

I have twins and for night feeds I give my baby as much milk as he will take in his bouncer when I simultaneously feed him and his sister. When I put him back down he wakes himself up by his arms/legs jolting, even when swaddled. The last couple of nights I have given him the last couple of ounces when he has been lying flat on his back in his cot so he goes to sleep on the job so to speak. My boyfriend is sure he read somewhere that this is dangerous. I can't find any information on the internet about this so does anyone know or do this? Thanks

Flighttattendant Sun 19-Sep-10 08:58:34

I think it's dangerous if you are not with the child...ie if you let them feed themselves, or hold the bottle themselves, and aren't there in case of choking.

Otherwise I don't know. But it sounds Ok.

Seona1973 Sun 19-Sep-10 09:06:50

no you shouldnt have them flat on their back as apparently milk may flow into the nose or the eustachian tube and could choke them/block the eustachian tube/cause ear infection, etc

MumNWLondon Sun 19-Sep-10 09:08:33

I BF my baby while he is lying down in bed and this seems to be "normal" so can't be dangerous to drink lying down. Certainly dangerous if you aren't there, I think it sounds ok as long as you are there to make sure all milk is swallowed.

Seona1973 Sun 19-Sep-10 09:11:57

when bf though your lo is not flat on his back - he/she will be on his side. Back feeding has a higher risk of milk entering the middle ear.

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 19-Sep-10 09:14:20

I also bf lying down with no problems. I think as long as you are there and are aware of his feeding then it would be ok? BF are more in control of the flow of the milk so can spit the nipple out a bit easier / stop feeding if they are full type thing but as long as you are there feeding him you would realise if he was trying to stop!

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 19-Sep-10 09:18:07

Could you lie him on his back but tilt his head to the side so the milk isn't flowing vertically?

Also maybe put a muslin under his face to catch all the drips, otherwise you'll be changing the sheets every day!

belgo Sun 19-Sep-10 09:21:41

No I don't think you can bottle feed a baby lying down.

BFing is different because the baby can regulate the amount of milk they take themselves, and they are lying on their sides and the milk can come out of their mouth more easily.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 19-Sep-10 09:25:28

It's fine, as long as you are there to regulate the amount of milk and it's not 'flooding' them. Use the smallest flow newborn teat.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 19-Sep-10 09:33:08

By the way, I bf my babies lying down and they didn't lie on their sides, they lay down flat on their backs with just the head tilted to one side.
I also bottle fed in this way when my babies were older. It's fine!
I'd like to see the evidence of this 'milk flowing into the middle ear' as I've never heard of any such thing!

MumNWLondon Sun 19-Sep-10 20:56:00

My DS also Bfeeds lying on back with head to side.

And its not different because once the let down reflex has started the milk sprays out, he has no control over it - unlike a bottle where the baby actually has to suck.

Is this dangerous?

Seona1973 Sun 19-Sep-10 21:22:40

from the babyfriendly.org info pdf:

The baby should be held fairly upright, with his head supported in a comfortable, neutral
position. (Drinking while the head is turned sideways or tilted back makes it more difficult for baby to swallow). He should be held close to the parent’s body and should be able to make eye contact. Bottle–feeding, like breastfeeding, should be a social interaction, not just a method of delivering nutrition.

Parents should be warned that leaving a baby unattended while feeding, or feeding a baby who is lying flat, may be dangerous. (He could choke or aspirate the formula into his lungs. Falling asleep with a bottle allows the sugary formula to pool in the mouth, which if in contact with teeth, increases dental caries. When bottle–feeding in the lying–down position, formula may travel from the back of the baby's throat up through the eustachian tube into the middle ear, causing ear infections.)

FrameyMcFrame Sun 19-Sep-10 22:13:04

She's not giving all the feeds like this, just a little bit as the baby goes to sleep.

Lots of breastfeeding positions involve the baby lying flat on their backs, so is this now dangereous too?

I'm sure the op's baby finishing off the last couple of ounces of her milk lying in her cot is not going to give her an ear infection.
hmm

Seona1973 Mon 20-Sep-10 08:14:12

she asked if it was dangerous and I gave an answer from info I had read. I did not say it is a foregone conclusion that her lo's will have a problem but there is a risk that it can be dangerous. No need for the hmm face either.

belgo Mon 20-Sep-10 08:26:13

Agree with Seona - the OP asked for information, and Seona has very kindly given it.

belgo Mon 20-Sep-10 08:29:01

The OP can take the advice and information given here or she can totally ignore it but let's not criticise each other for the informations given.

TrinityTheLonelyBrokenRhino Mon 20-Sep-10 09:17:55

dont criticise seona

she was asked a question

she delivered a thorough and correct answer (which I cant beleive that not everyone was aware of)

the op can take it or leave it as she wishes

no need for the faces

TrinityTheLonelyBrokenRhino Mon 20-Sep-10 09:21:43

and I can spell believe...honest grin

FrameyMcFrame Mon 20-Sep-10 22:10:16

Not critecising in the slightest!

Just expressing my opinion on the advice...

Hope that is allowed!

I didn't know that the hmm face was offensive, just sceptical (at least that's what the link says next to it)...

FrameyMcFrame Mon 20-Sep-10 22:21:42

I can spell criticise too

jemjabella Tue 21-Sep-10 09:27:47

Those breastfeeding lying down should roll their babies on to their side - you should not breastfeed with baby lying on the back with their head turned as it affects latch and milk removal.

TheSugarPlumFairy Tue 21-Sep-10 13:49:49

DD historically had terrible wind and one of her favourite position to be fed (FF) was flat on her back with her feet and legs up against my tummy and her head on my knees. For some odd reason it seemed to reduce her wind.

Purely anecdotally she has never had an ear infection.

popcracker Tue 21-Sep-10 14:26:06

Just a thought could you raise the end of the cot with a telephone book?

Personally I would not feed your babies flat on their back.

This may scare you - and I do not want to scare you - but my baby used to sick up a bit after feeds.

One morning I woke up to see that the baby had been sick (must have done this after a feed when I had layed him down at night). However, the sick around his mouth had acted as glue and sealed his lips. It was really scary as he seemed a bit off colour and obviously could not breath at all through his mouth. I had to peel his lips apart and it really freaked me out.

So I always raised the cot at one end.

SusannahSpoon Fri 24-Sep-10 19:02:16

thanks very much for all your advice! I have stopped doing it for the time being as the jury does seem to be out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now