Want to get more volume in your hair? Or got a great volumising tip to share with the Boots Feel Good Forum? £250 cash to be won

(243 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Jun-13 16:39:26

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to get maximum volume into your hair, with top tips from expert Trevor Sorbie - please do have a listen - it's only a very short clip.

~ Do you have any advice or tips of your own on how to volumise your hair?
~ What do you make of Trevor's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-Aug-13 14:30:51

Congratulations IncaAztec, you've won the prize draw! We'll be in touch shortly grin

Allthingspretty Fri 02-Aug-13 17:53:59

On day old or longer dry shampoo seema to.make my hair more valumimous

auldspinster Thu 01-Aug-13 12:56:41

I just sleep on mine and it turns into a voluminous Robert Smith style frightwig.

AllThatGlistens Wed 24-Jul-13 20:27:36

Definitely blow dry upside down with a diffuser and then huge Velcro rollers, does the trick every time!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 21-Jul-13 18:18:25

I just bought the Batiste XXL dust from Boots - miles better than resurrection dust and cheaper. Perfect for an up do without knackering your hair smile

hfdhgd Thu 18-Jul-13 18:30:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SaltySeaBird Sun 14-Jul-13 21:07:30

Good long blast of the hair dryer upside down. Volumising spray / mousse depending on the make or brand hels too.

HelenSw4les Sun 14-Jul-13 16:47:28

I have very fine hair and my top tip is not to wash it everyday and rarely condition it; this just makes it more fine and floppy than usual. Also I make sure I use the cold burst on the hairdryer to set the style.

Trevor is so right; everyone wants what they've not got. It sounds like Trevor has a trapeze or something in his salon for turning his customers upside down lol. I'm definitely going to use his tip and change my radial brush to one that has metal inside and hope that helps.

NowWhatIsit Fri 12-Jul-13 10:34:52

Blow dry upside down or sleep with it wet fanned out upwards!

missorinoco Thu 11-Jul-13 22:30:41

Make sure all the shampoo and conditioner is washed out. If I want volume I blow dry upside down on full power, scrunching the roots when it is damp rather than wet. Layering also stops it looking limp, but only if you keep getting the layers cut.....

But I don't generally do big hair. Am I that behind the times? Should I be ditching the straightners again?

DisAstrophe Thu 11-Jul-13 21:15:56

Nothing really works for me apart from backcombing and hair spray and that buggers up the condition. So I've learnt to embrace limpness

florencebabyjo Thu 11-Jul-13 20:04:42

I find leaving my hair to dry naturally after washing seems to give it a good base. Then I turn it upside down, add a little mousse to the roots and give it a quick blast with the dryer to the roots. After that, I tease it into light curls and give a quick blast of hairspray. It then stays nice and full for ages.

dstill1964 Thu 11-Jul-13 17:13:54

Make sure your hair is layered if long.I tip my hair to one side blow dry then do the other side and to give my hair large waves and curls I curl up and twist fastening with a butterfly clip and allow to dry during the day or if short on time I blast with a hairdryer and then release giving natural looking style and volume.For a full fringe I have a circular brush which I use and blast with hairdryer to make a bouncy full fringe.Dont be scared to really lift it as will drop slightly anyway x

Mouseface Thu 11-Jul-13 16:34:10

I have short hair, it's slightly longer on one side, rather like THIS STYLE but shorter on the crown so that I get get some volume there, spiking it even, making my face look slimmer smile

I use TRESemme volumising powder on the crown, just at the base, next to the roots (you only need a tiny bit!) and also blow dry around the crown area using a small (as in narrow, the diameter of a 10p coin for example), bristle brush. I use a vent brush to blow dry the rest, then straighten the front longer part.

BUT................ my all time, never fail volume must do is to tip your head (carefully!) upside down and give your style a good dose of mega hold hair spray. It's perfect for my hair style. smile

If you have longer hair - deffo still do the spraying upside down thing, and if you find it's too big, just brush your hair through a bit. Back-combing is okay but your hair won't thank you in the long run so maybe save it for those absolutely must have very big hair days?

BTW - hot weather (and damp) hates big volume and has undone all my hard work so far so I've not bothered this week, I'd rather have sun than volume! grin

ElsieMumofOne Thu 11-Jul-13 13:20:11

This will sound simple but rinsing your hair properly improves volume. I was getting sick of my hair looking so lank and flat at the top of my head until my sister told me I wasn't rinsing the conditioner out properly and the hair was weighted down. Does sound silly! I'm also one who uses Velcro rollers if I need a big boost for going out.

EliotNess Thu 11-Jul-13 07:41:07

i place tiny lego bricks under the hairline

purpleaura Wed 10-Jul-13 18:20:39

Definitely a good shampoo makes a massive difference, and upside down hair drying does it for me smile

suewilly Wed 10-Jul-13 18:17:34

After blow drying my hair I use 5 medium sized velcro rollers on the top layer. The heat from drying it makes the hair more likely to take on the lift from the rollers. I leave them in for as long as I can (usually around 30 minute while I'm getting ready to leave the house) and take them out at the last moment. My hair looks bouncy and the volume lasts for quite a while.

I use root booster and blow dry with my head upside-down. Backcombing is good for my hair too.

misablue Wed 10-Jul-13 15:12:44

I have long straight hair, and so far did not find any product that would give my lasting volume.
I have tried drying my hair upside down, have sprays that claim to give you volume and nothing lasts longer that half hour..

The only method that works for my hair is good old backcombing with lots of hair spray.

shyhb Wed 10-Jul-13 14:32:36

I dry my hair upside down and then use some volumising powder you can now buy - I apply this to the roots and it really volumises my hair.

hannahlw85 Wed 10-Jul-13 13:40:40

I have really long, very thick hair, and I think its too heavy to get any decent volume in. Anything I do with heated tools soon falls out, and its become too expensive to buy recommended products for them to not work either at all, or very well. If I put my hair up in a bun for a few hours I find on undoing it there is more volume then, but no straight hair, which I prefer. Fortunately for me I rarely go out the house much these days due to ill health, so styling my hair isn't so important for the moment.

tishist Wed 10-Jul-13 12:43:02

I've been drying my hair upside down since I was a child and t does indeed give volume!

edmontonkitty Wed 10-Jul-13 12:04:24

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad I have too much rather than not enough volume - but my problem is the opposite and it's SO hot right now!

Puppypoppet Wed 10-Jul-13 11:45:32

Volumising shampoo, dry hair upside down and using dry shampoo also can give a bit of volume.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now